Seagate Skyhawk 2TB - Install and CF

lancer

Got a new 2TB Skyhawk coming and looking at various posts it seems that the standard box will format this drive automatically.

Does this also apply with the CF (latest version) installed? And will the CF still be there after formatting the new drive or do I have to re-load it all?

Got a new 2TB Skyhawk coming and looking at various posts it seems that the standard box will format this drive automatically.

Does this also apply with the CF (latest version) installed? And will the CF still be there after formatting the new drive or do I have to re-load it all?
You won't have to reinstall the CF but you will have to reinstall the webif and other packages,

You could copy the /mod directory hierarchy from the old disk as alternative way of restoring webif and settings

it seems that the standard box will format this drive automatically... Does this also apply with the CF (latest version) installed?
"Seems"? Does! Prior to 1.03.XX it would only format up to 1TB, but IIRC we went up to 1.03.12 around 2014 and since then 2TB has been the limit (MBR partition table). The CF does not affect the operations of the standard firmware.

However, by a different mechanism, CF makes it possible to install disks using the GPT partition table, which enables drives in excess of 2TB. The Humax firmware is not written to expect drives larger than 2TB though, and starts running into problems beyond 4TB.

will the CF still be there after formatting the new drive
Custom Firmware resides in Flash storage and is not affected by a HDD swap, but what you see in your web browser is additional. If you recall, installation of the user interface was a two-stage process and the second stage was downloading onto the HDD from an installation web page.

Whether you can/should bypass the second stage by duplicating it across from the old HDD depends on why you replaced the drive in the first place and whether you have the technical competence to do it. You could do a partial installation and then install just webshell, and then you will have a command terminal (WebIF >> Diagnostics >> Command Line) available to copy across from the old HDD using a USB-SATA adapter... if the old HDD is working and uncorrupted. The alternative to webshell is having to fire up a Telnet client.

This is easier than trying to copy using another computer, because file ownership and permissions need to be preserved.

Personally I prefer to re-install, thereby jettisoning any accumulated crud and ensuring no discrepancies are imported.

Pardon my ignorance, but…how do I actually do that?!
If the old HDD is working (as noted above), you would need to connect it using a USB adapter (if you have one). You then need to use Telnet, or install WebIF and webshell, to gain access to a command line to perform the copy.

Without a USB-SATA adapter, it is possible to copy before removing the original HDD onto a UPD formatted Ext3. Copying to FAT32 won't do, but NTFS might work (file permissions have to be preserved, and FAT32 does not support permissions). Then copy back from the UPD once the new HDD is fitted.

If all that is unfamiliar to you, just reinstall normally. After you've installed the new HDD, connect to the WebIF IP address and you will land at the install page.

Last edited:
Back