Season's Greetings

Anybody know off hand why the year starts (arbitrarily) ten days after the solstice and not (logically) on the solstice? My immediate guess is a vanity thing, such as Julius Caesar's birthday (Julian calendar). Meanwhile the Met Office is trying to redefine the year (or at least the seasons) as starting on 1st December!

Meanwhile the Met Office is trying to redefine the year (or at least the seasons) as starting on 1st December!
The coldest months of the year are probably December, January, February, so it makes sense to call them winter. That makes June, July and August summer ... which seems right to me.

The coldest months of the year are probably December, January, February, so it makes sense to call them winter. That makes June, July and August summer ... which seems right to me.
The seasons are (traditionally) defined by the inflection points in the rising and setting of the Sun, which affects the hours of daylight and the growing of crops - nothing to do with heat or weather. The ancients could measure those just by observation, no need for calendars.

Spring: more hours of light than dark, increasing day length;
Summer: more hours of light than dark, decreasing day length;
Autumn: fewer hours of light than dark, decreasing day length;
Winter: fewer hours of light than dark, increasing day length.

Surprising as it might seem (in this era of artificial everything), a lot of nature is driven by day length.

The seasons are (traditionally) defined by the inflection points in the rising and setting of the Sun
True. But these days a lot of people (wrongly I think) call 21 December mid-winter's day and 21 June midsummer. So the whole thing is a bit of a mess and I think (the publicity of at least) separating our definitions of seasons might reduce that.

I don't really care tbh. I'm not a farmer and weather-wise I know roughly which way we are heading at any given time.

So the whole thing is a bit of a mess
Only because those with their own agenda propagate misinformation!

21 December mid-winter's day and 21 June midsummer.
I'm not familiar with a definition of "mid-winter's day", but Midsummer's Day is June 24. That has nothing to do with it being half way through Summer, by any standard.

It's just a name. I suppose the public will expect a Super Blue Moon to be both super and blue next!

I'm not familiar with a definition of "mid-winter's day", but Midsummer's Day is June 24.
Yes, it's near enough the solstice that people just assume that all the seasons' mid points are at/near the solstices or equinoxes. I can see the logic if you assume four equal length sessions.

Much as I like a mince pie I'll be resisting that call until after my October holiday. I need to at least start it not overweight :oops:
The mince pies I've seen so far are 50% more expensive than last year. That, and the likely weight increase, stopped me buying some!

Back