seeking in streamed video

D

david hancock

I'm planing on using the HD-FOX-T2 as a media server and I'd be very interested in hearing from other users who have any experience of serving video from a DNLA (uPNP) server.

The primary question is: can you seek in streamed video, the supplementary question is: is so, what formats work for seeking, and what (if any) transcoding did you use to achieve this.

I suspect that my ideal situation would be that I was able to mount the remote drive that contained the video so that it wasn't streamed per se, but was considered as if it was a file system mounted via USB. Is that possible? My video server will be a Linux box, so I could expose the video files over an NFS or CIFS share quite easily. Has anyone here tried doing this?

I had looked at the thread but I had failed to realise the significance of "control". It looks like if I were to transcode all my stuff to MPEG2 on -the-fly then I would FF and RWD working.

Have you got any experience of this? If so, what were you using as the DNLA server? My brief investigations suggest that MediaTomb looks like a good bet.

control was being able to pause,ffw,rwd, certain formats you could skip, rwd ect some you couldn't, the problem with the mpeg2 was the file size. standard windows setup with shared files, on homeplug. when next update is out may have more support (codecs)

I can image bandwidth might be a problem.

I'm planning on using a CAT5 set-up and transcoding on-the-fly to MPEG2 so hopefully I can overcome this.

My ideal solution would be so be able to NFS (of CIFS) mount a disk from my server to the Humax device. This would (presumably) mean that I could have full seek control as the Humax would see the file as if it were a USB attached device. Has anyone achieved this? I believe that the Humax box is running a Linux derivative - if so, can one log in to it install extra software, manipulate the mount table and so on?

I can image bandwidth might be a problem.

I'm planning on using a CAT5 set-up and transcoding on-the-fly to MPEG2 so hopefully I can overcome this.

My ideal solution would be so be able to NFS (of CIFS) mount a disk from my server to the Humax device. This would (presumably) mean that I could have full seek control as the Humax would see the file as if it were a USB attached device. Has anyone achieved this? I believe that the Humax box is running a Linux derivative - if so, can one log in to it install extra software, manipulate the mount table and so on?

i've homeplug 200Mb, i average 150Mb, however as the humax is only 100Mb interface, any network that has tranfer rates above 100Mb wont be a problem for HD, i dont anyway. has for transcoding on the fly, that will depend on your system that your transcoding with and not your network. networking will improve with the humax (hopefully). but remember its not a toppy

Back