Serial port?

I would happily send 0x06 if I could get my humax (swedish version of HDR called BXR-HD+) to actually send 0x02 on any port.
Or does it require some kind of input first?
On the 9200 the 0x02 is sent (without input) by the Humax as part of the bootup sequence and it the pauses briefly to see if there is a repy.

On the 9200 the 0x02 is sent (without input) by the Humax as part of the bootup sequence and it the pauses briefly to see if there is a repy.
I see the same thing in the HD-FOX loader. But the output is this time sent over usb and I think it expects a usb2serial adapter.

No, I didn't get around to borrowing one (and I only have one). I'll try and do it sometime next week.

FYI my HD-FOX T2 has four holes on the main board for a header to be soldered onto with UART0 writen next to it. Before af123 and radeon managed to recompile the flash I was working on soldering a pin header onto it and getting into the box via this route, but gave up after the custon firmware was relaesed, never got round to hooking it upto a computer. Its all removed and back in its box now, and don't realy have any desire to take it apart again as its working and i don't want to brick it!

FYI my HD-FOX T2 has four holes on the main board for a header to be soldered onto with UART0 writen next to it. Before af123 and radeon managed to recompile the flash I was working on soldering a pin header onto it and getting into the box via this route, but gave up after the custon firmware was relaesed, never got round to hooking it upto a computer. Its all removed and back in its box now, and don't realy have any desire to take it apart again as its working and i don't want to brick it!
Interesting.
Did the board look like the one in the HDR? pics here: http://myhumax.org/blog/?tag=hdr-fox-t2
If so, which one of the three four-hole places is labeled UART0?

I hooked up my HDR Fox-T2 to a pair of USB/Serial adapters but I didn't see any output at all. I also tried null-ing the cable in the middle by swapping the TX/RX pairs and signals, still nothing.

I used adapters with an FTDI chipset, I don't know what drivers the Humax has built in though - I could have a look.

I hooked up my HDR Fox-T2 to a pair of USB/Serial adapters but I didn't see any output at all. I also tried null-ing the cable in the middle by swapping the TX/RX pairs and signals, still nothing.

I used adapters with an FTDI chipset, I don't know what drivers the Humax has built in though - I could have a look.
Thanks for trying.
How are you going to take a look? We are talking about directly after power on when the CFE bootloader is executing.

Good point. I could look at the boot loader for clues, but I don't like MIPS, even with IDA pro!

Good point. I could look at the boot loader for clues, but I don't like MIPS, even with IDA pro!
For me MIPS is ok with IDA pro... ;) Deconstructing parts of the bootloader was quite easy since broadcom has been so kind to publish an older version of the CFE source code... Strings and magic numbers make great reference points...

Anyway. How did you intend to look in the bootloader? I think it's encrypted when stored in flash. Or are you referring to the HD-FOX bootloader? In that case, don't bother, I've already picked it apart...

From the broadcom CFE source code.. usbserial.c

Code:
/* This driver supports USB serial devices based on the Prolific
   PL-2303 and the MCT USB-232 chips.  Such devices have been marketed
   by a large number of vendors, and a specific device will not be
   recognized until the vendor and model number have been entered in
   tables of known devices here and in usbdevs.c.  */

Yes, but that's old source code, while most things are the same, some have changed. I couldn't find any such things in the actual hd-fox loader.

Well. Thanks for trying, but I think it's a dead end for me anyway.

I used adapters with prolific chipset but didn't get any data anyway...
My guess is that one of the internal pinheaders (not mounted) is the usb port to use for this...

HD-T2 PCB photo. Click the image for 600Kb file !

First time posting. Just bought a HD-T2 which is going to be an xmas present for someone else, but hoping to potentially buy a couple more to use as media players around the house as well as freeview boxes.

Anyway, as most things. First thing of interest is seeing what is inside the beast. This one is going to have a HD connected, but It's rather run it internally instead of on a seperate drive.
I can see the UART socket. Above it's been said this is not a serial port ? Maybe it's USB ?

Any ideas on the BBS port ?

Just in front of the BBS port there is an area on the slikscreen which I guess lines up with a potential card port on the front of the box? But there is only two sets of 4 pins either eside of it and anotehr 2 pins on the header nearest the back of the unit. Now I thought viewing cards tended to be PCMCIA ?
So is this a spot where a WIFI card might go, or, is this the normal sort of interface you would see for a viewing card ?

Also looking to see if there is a SATA port hidden somewhere inside here.

I'm going to start probing, but no point rehashing stuff which is already known! (tho I couldn't find with a search of the forum)

If anyone has a high res photo of the HDR-T2 PCB I'd love to take a look at it please !!

You're on fairly new ground, nothing has been discussed as far as I know other than what you find in this topic.

HD-T2 PCB photo. Click the image for 600Kb file !

Just in front of the BBS port there is an area on the slikscreen which I guess lines up with a potential card port on the front of the box? But there is only two sets of 4 pins either eside of it and anotehr 2 pins on the header nearest the back of the unit. Now I thought viewing cards tended to be PCMCIA ?
So is this a spot where a WIFI card might go, or, is this the normal sort of interface you would see for a viewing card ?

That is a smart card reader, The two lots of 4 pins contact with the 'chip' in the middle of the card, Same as a credit card chip

Cheers. That's better pics than I found, still could do with some hi-res. I'll keep looking.

The UART-0 port is showing 5V on PIN 1, 3.3V on PIN2.
The BBS port (JP54) is showing 3.3V on pin 1, 2, 3, and JP56 near the front of the PCB is showing 3.3V PIN1 and nothing PIN 2,3, PIN 4 is GND same as the others.

Still haven't setup the thing yet tho :D

On the Common Interface card slots; was used to seeing PCMCIA like on the HDR-T2.
Seems wierd to do it one way on one and another way on a different product.

The tuner used is a CXD2820. This chip is also available in the PCTV nanoStick T2 290e product. (amazon tho £80 !!)
I think with more searching I could find something cheaper using this chipset.
A collegue who is a MythTV fan is seeing if Sanata might buy him a HD-T2 as a cheaper path to adding a networked HD tuner to his MythTV install !

Just wondering if anyone has tried a secondary USB tuner at all in the HD-T2 ? Certainly it would be recognised by the kernel with the right module loaded, but can anyone say that the user interface will recognise the second tuner and use it to record with?

I briefly read about running HDR software on the HD. I suppose that would use a second tuner.
Can anyone tell me what tuner(s) is used in the HDR-T2 please ? - again hi res board piccy :(

First of all, the common interface you are talking about is not a common interface. It's the place for a smart card reader. Instead of putting the smart card in a ci-module, it is put directly into the box. It's how things usually work with dvb-t(2) boxes here in sweden. The HD-T2 is sold in sweden as the BXR-HD (almost same hardware, almost the same software) and it has a smart card slot at the front.

I'm kind of surprised about the voltage levels on pins 2-3 for some of these connectors. Is it a stable dc-level you are talking about? Do you have an oscilloscope available for measurements?

Back