setting scheduled recordings requires restart.

Phil Sharpe

Just installed the custom firmware and it all went smoothly using the guides, nice work.

When I schedule a recording though the HDR-Fox T2 needs to be restarted before it actually shedules it, is that normal?

and

Is there any way to control what is being played from a web interface, id like to be able to control my music from my iPad if possible.

Yes i'm doing from the web browser.

Is there no way to do it without the restart other than with the remote control?

From the Webif there is a pop-down that prompts for a restart.

From the rs site you can schedule a restart when the box is idle. (eg. not recording)

Telnet: Humax# Reboot. I use an App called iTelnet on my iPad. There may be other ways that I am not aware of.

Thanks i'll have to just keep restarting it then.
Seems a shame would be better if it could be programmed live from the web interface without the restart.

Provided the recordings are sufficiently far ahead you can leave it until the box either wakes up to record or is next switched on.

On second thoughts, I am not sure the half awake recording is counted as a restart.

On second thoughts, I am not sure the half awake recording is counted as a restart.
Yes, it is. As you say, unless the recording is very imminent, just let the box sleep and wake up by itself and the recording will move through into the main schedule.

Your biggest enemy to getting the short notice recordings set via RS is if the box is on standby. As has been said if you have enough time in advance it will wake up at 4:30 am each morning by default, or at your own discretion by adding sleep/wake events through the day if you want. Personally once I got my head around power consumption and working at about 16 pence per kilowatt hour I realised how little it costs to leave the box on all the time - although as I type I remembered the last time I had a last minute recording need I still have the three hour idle = auto off thing still set so having been out all day the box was off and I couldn't program it!! Note to self - sort that out!!!

During the development when we all asked if the restart was necessary (and it unavoidably was), we concluded that if you make some assumptions about the kind of time window that programs you'd want to record would fall into i.e. in my case it would be from say 7pm onwards, then I could set a Wake event at 6.45pm so any last minute schedule needs could be set on RS through the day. I include a reboot along with the schedule, then the box wakes at 6:45, picks up the schedule from RS and puts it in pending, then gets the reboot command there and then and that would get my last minute need to tape Man v Food all sorted in time!!

Even with no recordings in RS by 6:45 the Wake Event means the box is on for at least the next three hours in which case any other last minute needs will find the box awake anyway so I just program RS and send it the reboot command.

I know it's not quite as real time as the Sky stuff but I leave that bit out when I'm showing it off!!!!!!;)

Seems a shame would be better if it could be programmed live from the web interface without the restart.

The restart is required because the web-if is having to work alongside Humax's standard firmware (It doesn't replace it). It’s quite an achievement to make it work at all under the circumstances

I know it's not quite as real time as the Sky stuff but I leave that bit out when I'm showing it off!!!!!!;)
Of course we don't have to pay through our noses for the privilege, thanks to af123. Could you run the cost of keeping the box on all day, past me again, compared to it being in the lowest energy consumption standby?
Also having made auto recording entries in the RS diminishes the need for last minute(is this a Sky feature) and if needs must a quick call to the kids/wife to set via remote control.

Also having made auto recording entries in the RS diminishes the need for last minute

Definitely, the auto stuff generally schedules stuff 7 days in advance so there's plenty of time for the box to turn on and off before the recording needs to be there.

Could you run the cost of keeping the box on all day, past me again, compared to it being in the lowest energy consumption standby?

I'm going to start a new thread in the Hummy Arms for this because I have a feeling it will drag this thread way off track :) so I'll edit in the new thread once I've done the first post.

Back