Several Aura remote buttons not working.

Some buttons on my Aura remote control have suddenly stopped working, no spills or drops. Everything above the volume controls work but volume, F , i ,red and green buttons and 1 2 4 5 7 8 S/AD and 0 have failed. Does anyone have a suggestion as to why and how to open up the remote, no visible screws anywhere. Thanks in advance.
Panic over.
Before posting this thread the first thing I did was change the batteries for 2 Panasonic AAA still in their wrapping but still no luck, I just swapped the Duracells from another remote and every thing is working again. On inspection the Panasonics were past their use by date :oops:. Odd that some buttons that serve the same purpose as others require a fuller charged battery.'

On inspection the Panasonics were past their use by date
How far past? I've had batteries in devices that died in service but on post mortem inspection were many years past their use by date.

Everything above the volume controls work
They are closer to the emitter so the electrons don't have to go so far ... ?

How far past? I've had batteries in devices that died in service but on post mortem inspection were many years past their use by date.

They are closer to the emitter so the electrons don't have to go so far ... ?
November 2018 :) They still had enough charge to give the same limited buttons.

Maybe it could do some functions that used infra red, but not those that used Bluetooth?
I did turn off pairing so it was only IR but it made no difference. It just puzzled me that the numbers 3 , 6 and 9 worked but the others did not.

The Duracell batteries lasted 2 days then the same symptoms returned so I assumed they were also now lacking charge and planned on buying a fresh set when in town however the next day everything was working fine again and even the original batteries now gave me full control once more, 2 days now working fine so I am back to thinking the remote might need a clean but I just cannot see a way to open it up, Does anyone here know how?, has anyone ever done it? I have tried some gentle prising but nothing seems to flex or suggest it might move and there are no screws clips or catches that I can find.

I contacted Humax and asked them how do I open up an Aura remote control. After getting a reply from Humax suggesting I should change the batteries, reset to factory defaults and change to RF setting I again asked for details on opening up the remote as I had already changed the batteries and to RF, This is their response :(...................................

" If you decide to proceed with opening the remote, we recommend searching for instructional videos on platforms like YouTube. While there may not be an exact guide for the Humax Aura remote, similar videos for other remotes should provide useful insights.

However, please be aware that proceeding in this manner carries some risk, and we cannot guarantee success or the continued functionality of the remote. Please remember that any actions taken are at your own discretion, and we cannot be held responsible for any damages that may occur.

Alternatively, you may consider purchasing a new Aura remote from our website. Unfortunately, it's currently out of stock, but you can keep an eye on the product page for updates: https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/accessories/humax-aura-rm-c01-freeview-play-remote.html"

A search on YT gave me this, Not exactly inspiring, best to keep some glue handy :)

If you decide to proceed with opening the remote, we recommend searching for instructional videos on platforms like YouTube.
In other words, Humax don't know how to open their own remotes. Not good!
A search on YT gave me this, Not exactly inspiring, best to keep some glue handy
Certainly not inspiring. There must be better ways than this. And remember to put batteries in or it won't work :whistling:
Pity remotes don't appear to be covered by the "right to repair". Surely they could be better designed and have some screws in rather than break the device open.
A universal remote might work (if it has learning functions). I have a feeling they aren't good if you have changed the remote code - you may have to learn all the keys. That requires the original to still work. Argh!:frantic:

A universal remote might work (if it has learning functions). I have a feeling they aren't good if you have changed the remote code - you may have to learn all the keys. That requires the original to still work. Argh!:frantic:
That'll be relatively easy if you only use the infra red part of the Aura remote. If you use the Bluetooth part it may limit your choices. (Eg I think the voice control requires Bluetooth.)
I suggest practicing on an old or unwanted remote first. Use thin but blunt spudgers to minimise chances of cutting yourself. Other suggestions
Some remotes are easier to work with than others. I've open many remotes with minimal damage, but made a smallish Virgin TV/360 look like it'd been bitten by dogs after I finished with it! If you break any plastic lugs and the end result is loose on reassembly, use tape or elastic band to hold the two halves together. It doesn't look pretty but easier for the next time you wish to open it. Strongly glued units will break apart if you try to open them again.

Last edited:
A couple of places I have stayed at in Asia used to wrap their TV and air-con remotes in cling film, maybe I should tell Humax to add this to their advice as a preventative measure ;)

Back