SFTP and SSH connection issues

Sourdough

Apologies if this has been covered before but I have two issues;
1 - I cannot connect to the betaftd package with SFTP. I've tried with straight FTP and it works fine but SFTP won't connect. I'm using FileZilla and the latested customised firmware 3.13, all packages are up-to-date.
I've tried disabling the firewall on my laptop but still nothing.
Here's the log entry (I've tried with ip addresses and host names, root and humaxftp users)

Response: fzSftp started, protocol_version=8
Command: open "humaxftp@humaxpvr" 22
Error: Network error: Connection refused
Error: Could not connect to server

Command: open "root@humaxpvr" 22

2 My other and possibly related issue is that I cannot SSH to the Humax either. I have installed dropbear but only plain telnet works not SSH. Again I get connection refused. One more thing when I use normal telnet I am not prompted to enter the pin, I go straight to command prompt - is this normal.

I'm wondering if this is a router issue and it's blocking SSH traffic on my home LAN.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I

Is it really necessary to secure the sort of stuff on your Hummy/network securely, or is it a 'because I can (can't)' type of thing?

Apologies if this has been covered before but I have two issues;
1 - I cannot connect to the betaftd package with SFTP. I've tried with straight FTP and it works fine but SFTP won't connect. I'm using FileZilla and the latested customised firmware 3.13, all packages are up-to-date.
Does Betaftpd do SFTP? It is a very small executable. There is a Dropbear SFTP package available but I have zero experience of it.

1 - I cannot connect to the betaftd package with SFTP. I've tried with straight FTP and it works fine but SFTP won't connect.

Command: open "humaxftp@humaxpvr" 22
Connection refused clearly means there is nothing listening on port 22. That's not surprising because BetaFTPD is an FTP Server not an SSH server.
In any case it is pointless, because performance would be terrible due to the excessive CPU load of running the traffic through the encryption process. Forget it.
2 My other and possibly related issue is that I cannot SSH to the Humax either. I have installed dropbear but only plain telnet works not SSH. Again I get connection refused.
Is the server running? Did you configure it? "netstat -tln" will tell you what ports are being listened on.
One more thing when I use normal telnet I am not prompted to enter the pin, I go straight to command prompt - is this normal.
It is if you've set the option to do so. It doesn't set itself, so you must have done.
I'm wondering if this is a router issue and it's blocking SSH traffic on my home LAN.
Is your home LAN routed or switched then? (rhet.)

Does Betaftpd do SFTP? It is a very small executable. There is a Dropbear SFTP package available but I have zero experience of it.

Betaftpd does not do either SFTP or FTPS, just plain old active of passive mode FTP.
Dropbear together with the `greenend-sftp` package can provide SFTP.

because performance would be terrible due to the excessive CPU load of running the traffic through the encryption process. Forget it.

I use rsync over SSH a lot with the Humax and performance is pretty decent, especially since Dropbear was updated to use elliptic-curve ciphers. Obviously encryption is an overhead and the Humax doesn't have a powerful processor; for large file transfers you will be better off using something else unless you really need the encryption.

Apologies for my mistake. FTP is now working correctly - not sure why I had assumed that it needed to be SFTP for access to the folders outside the media folder.

As regards the SSH to the Humax - it was more an experimentation thing rather than a necessity. I will carry on with simple Telnet for the time being.

Thanks all.

I use rsync over SSH a lot with the Humax and performance is pretty decent, especially since Dropbear was updated to use elliptic-curve ciphers.
I presume you mean Ecdsa? Can you quantify this? I got round to trying it and it's just as bad as Rsa or perhaps a bit worse. About 400kB/s compared to about 450kB/s.
Obviously encryption is an overhead and the Humax doesn't have a powerful processor; for large file transfers you will be better off using something else unless you really need the encryption.
I get about 10.8 MB/s with FTP, so really there is no comparison. I would like rsync without the encryption overhead because it's so much more convenient to use than FTP or SMB etc.

Back