[Shares] folder produced by the network-shares-automount package

MalcolmC

The network-shares-automount package generates a [Shares] folder in My Video which we are warned must never be deleted. Is it possible to move this folder to the VirtualUSB so that it's safely out of the way? At present it appears just above listed recordings in My Video, so there is quite a risk of accidentally deleting it when meaning to delete the top-most of these recordings.

MymsMan

Ad detector
Set shareFolder=off in the settings folder for each share and reboot with the Network drive turned off.
You can delete the [Shares] when you are sure there are no active shares present.
Shares will appear under /media.

OP
M

MalcolmC

Set shareFolder=off in the settings folder for each share and reboot with the Network drive turned off.
You can delete the [Shares] when you are sure there are no active shares present.
Shares will appear under /media.
I already had shareFolder=off, but wasn't sure I had rebooted with the Network drive off. I did this. The "shared filesystem" appears under media (as they always did) but the [Shares] folder is still in My Video. It's this [Shares] folder that we must "never delete" that I am concerned about. I do not want to delete it -- just the opposite, I want to avoid accidentally deleting it.

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
It all depends what you want to do. The reason for having the [Shares] folder is so you can navigate the mounted network drive straight from MEDIA without having to select Storage >> USB. It's a convenience thing, but has the consequence that if deleted by accident (or unaware of the consequences) the delete operation will then systematically empty the remote storage.

If you don't need the convenience (and personally I don't recommend it for several reasons), and are quite happy to go via MEDIA >> Storage, then you will find the external mounts listed as virtual drives in the USB list. Provided shareFolder=off, [Shares] is a remnant which can be deleted without issue.

OP
M

MalcolmC

It all depends what you want to do. The reason for having the [Shares] folder is so you can navigate the mounted network drive straight from MEDIA without having to select Storage >> USB. It's a convenience thing, but has the consequence that if deleted by accident (or unaware of the consequences) the delete operation will then systematically empty the remote storage.

If you don't need the convenience (and personally I don't recommend it for several reasons), and are quite happy to go via MEDIA >> Storage, then you will find the external mounts listed as virtual drives in the USB list. Provided shareFolder=off, [Shares] is a remnant which can be deleted without issue.
Aha, thanks. The [Shares] folder must be present because I once tried out the shareFolder=on option, but then went back to "off".

MymsMan

Ad detector
Aha, thanks. The [Shares] folder must be present because I once tried out the shareFolder=on option, but then went back to "off".
Yes the package creates the folder when needed but doesn't clean up when it is no longer needed
If you make sure the the network drive is not active before deleting the folder there will be no danger of anything being deleted from the network drive