Sharing files from the HD FOX T2

mrfsk

Hi, I'm a first time poster. I'm lost at how to share files from the HD to my network, I'm sure this topic has been covered somewhere but I have searched the forum pages without a solution so apologies in advance if it has.

I have successfully installed the CFW and mediatomb etc but I can't work out how to play a file from the attached HDD on my network. I don't think I'm far away and some step by step instructions would be most helpful.

Were the files on the disk recorded on the HD T2 (and therefore encrypted) or are they from some other source?
If the former, you need to decrypt them first (search for BootHDR on the forum) before Mediatomb will serve up anything that can be played over the network.
I find BootHDR is a whole load of hassle really, as it's hard to automate.

Yes all files were recorded on the HD T2 and therefore encrypted. I've read that I need to use BootHDR but I'm struggling with the whole process, I.E. how to go about decrypting them for mediatomb to serve etc. How do I initiate and complete the process?
Thanks for your reply.

I'd previously read section 5, but I don't understand how to run HDRMode; or how to copy to the virtual drive and then access them on the network?

I don't think I will find it too 'complicated' thank you!

As stated, I have installed the custom firmware, boothdr and virtual2 also. I'm asking how to run the package 'boothdr' (is it command line based and if so where is the command prompt found?) and how to copy to the virtual drive and subsequently how to access the files on the desired network?

I stated in my opening post that I'm looking for instruction from how to run boothdr to accessing on the network.

If I remember correctly, installing the bootHDR package from Webif appears to hang, so it is not always easy to tell if the installation has completed. If you look in '/drive1/mod' you should see a folder 'HDRfs'. If this is not there, bootHDR has not installed correctly.
It was recommended to install the virtual disk package (rather than virtual disk 2) but don't bother to install either, it is not necessary. BootHDR runs the HDR-FOX software on the the HD-FOX. On the HDR-FOX, if you copy an unprotected recording (standard definition, by default) from the internal drive (HDD) to an external drive (e.g. drive1) using the remote control handset it will be decrypted in the process. With bootHDR, the folder '/drive1/Video' is mapped as the HDR-FOX 'My Video' folder, but 'drive1' and its subfolders are also still available as a USB device. What I do is have a folder called 'Recordings' under 'drive1'. In HDR mode, if you then copy a recording from HDD (My Video) to 'drive1/Recordings' it will be decrypted.
Back in HD-FOX mode, if you configure MediaTomb to serve content from '/drive1/Recordings' your files should be available on other devices that have DLNA clients.
Also install the auto-unprotect package on your HD-FOX if you want to decrypt high def. recordings.
In '/drive1/*modsettings' there is a folder called 'trigger HDR mode' (or something similar). If you cut and paste this folder in to 'drive1' the unit should reboot into HDR mode. Alternatively, from the command line in Telnet, typing 'bootHDRmode' should work too (if it doesn't try typing 'bootHDR' instead).

Last edited:
I don't think I will find it too 'complicated' thank you!
I didn't say too complicated, I said too complicated to be worth the bother. We'll see!

I suggest you read through the references I have already provided.

Thanks Montys...that's a much less patronising answer, and seems straight forward enough now that telnet has been mentioned; there was no mention of using telnet in any of the guides I've read so far. Thanks again!

Damned if I see what's patronising about it. You asked, and I pointed out existing information that should have answered. Why would you expect somebody to take the trouble to recap?

I still think it's too much trouble.

If that's the case then I think you will find it all too complicated to be worth the bother.
I think that is what the OP finds patronising BH. Regardless of how it was intended to come across, it also came across as patronising to me. Note also, I have included the full quote.

If that's the case then I think you will find it all too complicated to be worth the bother.
The wording is patronising even without the "If that's the case" which further enhances the patronising "you will".

Patronise: "treat with an apparent kindness which betrays a feeling of superiority". That implies you are making assumptions about my intentions.

Well, it could also be read as, and taking it to a bit of an extreme, "If you are so thick as to not understand the simple instructions linked to, then it is far too complex and difficult for you to understand and do.", although, I fully appreciate that you didn't mean it to come across that way. I did said that it came across as patronising to me, not that you intended it to be patronising.
Anyway, I think that discussion about the fine detail and semantics of the meaning of the word 'patronising' should be conducted in The Arms, not here. But I think that most of us understand the context in which the word is being used in this discussion even if it doesn't comply exactly with the dictionary definition.

Back