Sharing files on USB drive over the network

Sharkbait

Hi guys,
Noob here just getting to grips with a HDR T2 that I've bought. I've installed the custom firmware and I'm really impressed with the capabilities of this box.
One quick question though. I have a USB drive plugged into the back which holds a number of films that I've ripped from DVD. I can play these films fine through the T2 but I was wondering if it's possible to make them available to the network via the built-in DLNA server (which I've got switched on and is working fine)?

I have a USB drive plugged into the back which holds a number of films that I've ripped from DVD. I can play these films fine through the T2 but I was wondering if it's possible to make them available to the network via the built-in DLNA server (which I've got switched on and is working fine)?
No. You would have to install and configure the Mediatomb package to do that. Alternatively install the samba package and you can pick up the external drive as a network share.

OK I'll get stuck into that. Cheers BH.

Oh one other thing.... do I disable the built-n dlna server once mediatomb is running or leave it on?

You need the standard server if you ever wish to decrypt your recordings - other than by copying to a USB drive, streaming through the Humax DLNA server is the only way to accomplish it. The Mediatomb server will only serve files correctly if they are not encrypted.

See Things Every... (click) section 5.

Back