Sharing HiDef content between two HDR-2000Ts doesn't work

As for streaming, it looks like the 2000T has had its HD protected streaming features removed - I cannot stream HiDef recordings between the 2000T and Fox in either direction. Perhaps there was a 50p license fee for DTCP and Humax decided they couldn't afford it? :rolleyes:

Happily I've now installed custom firmware on the Fox and unprotected HiDef recordings stream fine from that to the 2000T. I don't really need to stream the other way so it looks like the problem is finally solved! It really shouldn't be this hard - stupid DRM...
Thanks for doing that test - it will inform our advice in the future.

It sounds like the 2000T refuses to stream protected recordings at all (there will be no hack to unprotect them until the firmware can be examined, and then only if somebody with the right skills has sufficient time and motivation), it is undecided whether the 2000T will stream unprotected HiDef, and it probably does not negotiate DTCP as a streaming client.

It sounds like the 2000T refuses to stream protected recordings at all (there will be no hack to unprotect them until the firmware can be examined, and then only if somebody with the right skills has sufficient time and motivation), it is undecided whether the 2000T will stream unprotected HiDef, and it probably does not negotiate DTCP as a streaming client.
Barry over on MyHumax.org has reminded Humax about this issue; Humax will investigate but aren't (at this stage) promising a fix.

Out of interest, has anyone who has removed protection from HD recordings on a 2000T using Foxy, tried to stream this HD content by DLNA to another 2000T or a HDR-FOX T2?

Just for cross reference purposes, I had this exact issue and raised it on another forum - see http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/two-hdr-2000ts-connected-together
The concensus was the HDR-2000T encrypts all HD content and will not stream it even to another HDR-2000T. I also think the marketing information and user guide are misleading because if you didn't know it treated HD content differently you would assume, like I did, that it would stream. I'm not holding my breath for Humax to consider this an issue they need to fix.

Admin Edit: Link inserted

hellodave said:
As for streaming, it looks like the 2000T has had its HD protected streaming features removed - I cannot stream HiDef recordings between the 2000T and Fox in either direction.
Happily I've now installed custom firmware on the Fox and unprotected HiDef recordings stream fine from that to the 2000T.
From hellodave's findings it seems that the 2000T can act as a DLNA client for HiDef files from a HDR-FOX T2 once they have been unprotected so, as he proposed, it is the DTCP protected streaming that the 2000T cannot cope with. As the HiDef file format of the 2000T and the HDR-FOX is apparently the same (please correct me if I am wrong) and such recordings can be unprotected using Foxy/ FTP (and then decrypted by copying to an external USB drive with the remote), it is possible that the 2000T could serve such content, as DTCP protected streaming would no longer be required. It would be interesting to test. Using Foxy is not as convenient as auto-unprotect (HDR-FOX custom firmware) but it is easy and quick, and if it were enough to enable streaming of HiDef recordings it could add useful functionality.

Just for cross reference purposes, I had this exact issue and raised it on another forum - see http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/two-hdr-2000ts-connected-together
The concensus was the HDR-2000T encrypts all HD content and will not stream it even to another HDR-2000T. I also think the marketing information and user guide are misleading because if you didn't know it treated HD content differently you would assume, like I did, that it would stream.
But the HDR-FOX T2 encrypts all recordings and doesn't provide a standard way to decrypt HD material but does allow streaming of HD but using additional protection (DTCP-IP). The issue that isn't clear is whether the inability of the HDR-2000T to stream is a bug or a design decision.

Using Foxy is not as convenient as auto-unprotect (HDR-FOX custom firmware) but it is easy and quick, and if it were enough to enable streaming of HiDef recordings it could add useful functionality.
You are missing the point. On the HDR-FOX, auto-unprotect does more than Foxy: Foxy enables a HiDef recording to be decrypted when copied to USB; auto-unprotect does that but also modifies the DLNA index to prevent it negotiating protected delivery when serving that particular file.

However, I admit that by using Foxy and then decrypting the HiDef recording by copy to USB, and then copying the result back to the internal HDD (possibly having deleted the sidecar files), it might then be possible to serve the HiDef .TS.

Black Hole said:
You are missing the point. On the HDR-FOX, auto-unprotect does more than Foxy: Foxy enables a HiDef recording to be decrypted when copied to USB; auto-unprotect does that but also modifies the DLNA index to prevent it negotiating protected delivery when serving that particular file.
Thanks for explaining that to me. I was unaware that the HDR-FOX T2 selects the method of content delivery by a means that is unrelated to the 'enc' flag in the HMT file that Foxy clears. In a practical sense, a Foxy-unprotected HiDef file streaming from one HDR-FOX to another is indistinguishable from an unmodified file: both would just work.
I am still interested in how the 2000T would behave though as it is not capable of DTCP-IP delivery. Does the DLNA server simply not index HiDef content, or will it fail when the remote unit instigates a play request? If I had two 2000Ts I'd have tried it by now.

Back