Poll Should Freeview make up their minds which channel numbers to use for each channel?

Should Freeview

• Choose channel numbers and stick to them

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Reassign channel numbers and force retunes

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member 473

Compared with Freesat, which scatters channels randomly in each genre, Freeview seems constantly to want to change channel numbers and muxes, with warnings about missed recordings, and also messing up any favourite lists I keep on my TV.

Please make up your mind, Freeview!

So when a channel 'goes off air' or is moved to the HD MPX, you want to leave an empty slot?
They don't change it around very often, and all the 'main' channels are on the same LCNs.
Freeview need to do what they need to do to keep the service working just fine and dandy.
Pointless poll.:D

There have been occasions they seem to have just swapped LCNs around as a tidying up exercise, obviously they shouldn't be doing that (IMO), but neither do I see that it is possible to leave it all set in stone. In any case, there is no need for a retune unless the service in question changes broadcast parameters such as the mux. The service will still work on its old LCN as long as you don't retune.

I don't see much evidence of this "constantly want to change channel numbers", certainly in the last 9 months anyway.
The last couple of days' changes were unusual though - 86 VIVA+1 was removed and replaced just TWO days later with More4+1.
There is usually a lot longer 'sterile' period before the LCN gets re-used.

Freeview seems constantly to want to change channel numbers and muxes, with warnings about missed recordings
These are Logical Channel Numbers. The system is designed that if it is just the LCN that is updated then nothing gets disrupted.
Just changing the values of a channel's LCN will not cause any disruption of the schedule events, even on a non-c/f HDR-FOX T2. If you have the C/F installed you could check the raw data view of the schedule via the web-if. The LCN is not included. The LCN is just for viewer convenience and gets mapped to the real service identifiers via the various UIs.

Last week the most recent consultation for the allocation of LCNs reached its end date for responses. As a consequence expect a minor shakeup later this year.
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/policy?a=89000

There have been occasions they seem to have just swapped LCNs around as a tidying up exercise, obviously they shouldn't be doing that (IMO)
It is generally coincided an advantage for a channel to have a lower LCN due to a significant number of users scrolling through the channels starting from the lower channel numbers, or just remembering the single digit number allocations. Digital UK have a policy on what can be done which helps limit any drastic change due to an LCN becoming vacant or a broadcaster wishing to rearrange their LCN/channel associations.
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/86814/Digital_UK_LCN_Policy_Version_5.5.pdf

Please note (Luke?) this is a Freeview issue and not a Humax discussion!

It is generally coincided an advantage for a channel to have a lower LCN due to a significant number of users scrolling through the channels starting from the lower channel numbers, or just remembering the single digit number allocations.
Then why is LCN7 and 8 'empty'?

Please note (Luke?) this is a Freeview issue and not a Humax discussion!
Have another read of my post. The HDR-FOX T2 was only mentioned as a tool to help you understand the situation I was describing.

Perhaps I should have included the following italicized additions:
"The LCN is just for viewer convenience, irrespsctive of UK DTT model or manufacturer, and gets mapped to the real service identifiers via the various UIs."

Thanks for that Brian. So the reason they are empty in my area is that I am unfortunate enough to live in England :) and don't have a 'local' service.:cry:

300 slots for IP services, and the general category is almost overflowing with 99 slots!

Have another read of my post. The HDR-FOX T2 was only mentioned as a tool to help you understand the situation I was describing.

Perhaps I should have included the following italicized additions:
"The LCN is just for viewer convenience, irrespsctive of UK DTT model or manufacturer, and gets mapped to the real service identifiers via the various UIs."
OK, sorry Luke. Thanks for the document link.

Back