Should I upgrade Custom Firmware version

JerryL1947

Last evening I recorded a couple of programs and was then watching normal TV (with HDR-Fox turned on) when the Fox stopped working. It sat with the blue lighted on/off button but would not do anything via the remote and would not switch off via the front button. I have been running it on CF v3.00 since buying this refurbished item from Humax about 2 years ago. I'm not a computer geek and only access this (or other forums) when I have a problem. When I retired last night I switched the Fox off via the switch at the back.

I turned it on this morning and all seemed OK. So I decided it was time to un-encrypt the HD programs I wanted to keep and copy them to an external HDD (connected via a USB socket at the back). I set the programs to Recursive Auto-decrypt and copied them to the external HDD via the Foxes remote. It all copied OK and I was able to play the copied files on the TV.

However, in the past, I have been able to log onto my Hummy via my home network and view recorded programs on my laptop but when I try now, I get this screen:

Hummy%20now%20playing_zpsmr6yeo8b.jpg

Mouse click on the play button achieves nothing. So I have some more questions:
1) Should I update my CF to 3.10?
2) Is the stop last evening a precursor to this Hummy dying?
3) Is this failure to play a program on my laptop normal?
4) should I be able to see the Hummy HDD and its attached USB connected HDD over my network?

On this last - I have a WDMyworld NAS which, when I did a recommended firmware update, removed my ability to see the drives or folders in Windows Explorer. I reversed the update but still needed to do more to my Register and settings and was able partially to restore matters but now still - it is invisible on my Network, only some folders are visible under "Computer". Maybe this affects my HDR-Fox also ??

EDIT: On second thoughts, using the WebIf gives me access to the programs stored on the Hummy HDD so what's going on ??????

Advice appreciated, thanks.

Jerry

Last edited:
It's simply that the version of VLC embedded in your web browser is no longer able to play the .TS stream. As to your other problems: have you updated to Win10?

However, you would be well advised to update your firmware and also your packages, as this will help resolve matters if you need to do any fault finding in the future.

It's simply that the version of VLC embedded in your web browser is no longer able to play the .TS stream. As to your other problems: have you updated to Win10?

VLC? what's that ? :unsure:

Win10? Not B**** likely!! :whistling: I will stick with Win7 Pro till this machine dies :)

It's a first time for the lockup but I seem to remember my last one started doing that before it died :(

Just because it says VLC Player does not necessarily mean that someone knows what VLC player is, although the name gives a clue and Google knows;)

Bloody hell. Look at your own screen shot - the media player announces itself as "VLC Player". If (for whatever reason) the browser is unable to launch the embedded VLC player, the media won't play.

Very sorry BH, my stupidity - I didn't get past the VLC. I now know.

Can I ask some more, hopefully not too stupid questions pls? The help I get on here is much appreciated because as I implied, I'm no expert and prefer to avoid mistakes which make correction difficult, particularly when it comes to some "so-called" upgrades with screw-ups in 'em which have been known by the maker for a long time but still sent out - WDMyCloud!!. I do try to search for answers to my questions first but it is not always easy to interpret possibly meaningful information from the answers to others' questions, hence, then I ask. So:

• Can I simply upgrade from CF 3.00 to 3.10 or is it necessary to install intermediates first? If each version is a complete install, then clearly intermediates are not necessary.
  • Doing so then will delete my recording schedule? I can save it first presumably and then reload it?
  • Finally, which of the available downloads should I use. I find this screen most confusing with multiple links and no (?) explanation?:
Hummy%20Updates_zpsfbh84nnm.jpg

Sorry, looks like I'm being dumb again:(

There's an explanation link at the top of the page but I'm still struggling :oops: I have side by side tuner sockets.

Thanks, Jerry
trying hard not to be stupid :notworthy:

Last edited:
Can I simply upgrade from CF 3.00 to 3.10
Yes
or is it necessary to install intermediates first?
No
If each version is a complete install, then clearly intermediates are not necessary.
They are complete. Gone are the days when they were just a patch of the Humax code, each one now incorporates the Humax code they are based on.
Doing so then will delete my recording schedule?
No. Retunes and factory resets delete the schedule, nothing else. And with CF, you have the auto-restore option (and a manual restore regardless).
Finally, which of the available downloads should I use. I find this screen most confusing with multiple links and no (?) explanation?:
Not that bad, shirley? You don't need to worry about the debug kernel or the stock kernel unless you have been specifically instructed to use it solving some problem or other, neither do you need to worry about supporting files. So that leaves three versions of CF 3.10 according to your preference of standard firmware - for information about the pros and cons of 1.02.20, 1.02.32, and 1.03.12 see Things Every... (click) section 1, but if you want to use BBC iPlayer / YouTube you will have to go for 1.03.12.

Thanks very much BH :thumbsup:

Very helpful as usual. So the top one is the one I need though I cannot now remember which is my original Humax version. I think it was 1.03.12

Can I suggest looking at http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Which_Version which provides an overview of the pros and cons of the different underlying Humax firmware versions.
Thanks but,
I'm afraid I don't find it that useful.

It seems that the CF chosen has differing effects depending on the underlying original Humax firmware. Is that correct?

The reason I don't find this helpful is because I do not remember what my original Humax firmware version was. I bought my HDR-Fox T2 as a refurbished unit from Humax after my previous one succumbed to some terminal fault - it refused to turn on even though the HDD and power supply were fine. This was about 2 years ago and I installed CF 3.00 immediately so I could decrypt programs I wanted to keep on an attached HDD.

Is there any method to check which version of Humax firmware is underlying? The only way I can see to establish the CF version is on the HDR front panel display on startup.

It seems that the CF chosen has differing effects depending on the underlying original Humax firmware. Is that correct?
No. The stated differences are in the Humax code, not the CF. The CF adds the same feature set whatever version of Humax code you choose.

The reason I don't find this helpful is because I do not remember what my original Humax firmware version was.
That's irrelevant. You need to choose the Humax firmware revision based on what features you consider essential. If you want to use the Humax TV Portal, you have to choose 1.03.12. If you don't care about the TV Portal but want a faster responding EPG, choose 1.02.32. If Audio Description is you main need (due to being hard of hearing or in a noisy environment), then it only works properly in 1.02.20 (but there are a number of disadvantages with 1.02.20 otherwise). If you hate the idea of an unattended automatic retune happening, again you need 1.02.20 (but the CF can alleviate that in the other versions). The revision history is more extensive in Things Every... (click) section 1, but you have to read the whole thing to track the changes.

I'm afraid I don't find it that useful.
The above are the things the wiki page is trying to tell you, and it looks like it does the job.

Is there any method to check which version of Humax firmware is underlying? The only way I can see to establish the CF version is on the HDR front panel display on startup.
Menu >> Settings >> System >> System Information >> Software Version, or look at the bottom right hand corner of the WebIF front page (where there are all the details you could possibly want).

Thank you once again BH. Your full explanation is excellent.

I installed the 1.03.12 version and it is working fine. I use the functions to prevent crashing due to my NAS and preventing ota updates. I sometimes use the TV Portal too.

I don't know if I screwed up the end part of the CF installation because I did not get the option to download the full Web-If and it seems I don't have it as I can see fewer log files available in the Diagnostics screen and I don't have the Sweeper available.

Have you installed them from the WebIF? You possibly need to go to Advanced Settings and enable "Show development and advanced packages?" to display them for installation.

I don't know if I screwed up the end part of the CF installation because I did not get the option to download the full Web-If
You're not starting from scratch, only updating the USB-installed-to-Flash firmware part. The software elements remain unaffected. To update those, go to WebIF >> Package Management >> Update package list from Internet, then WebIF >> Package Management >> Upgrade all packages.

The software element can be set to update automatically: install the auto-update package.

...and it seems I don't have it as I can see fewer log files available in the Diagnostics screen and I don't have the Sweeper available.
I don't get that part. If you are looking at Diagnostics you are using the WebIF. If you want to know what's installed, go to WebIF >> Package Management >> Installed. If you only want the highlights and not the grinding detail of all the components that operate in the background (and are "do not touch" territory), make sure you have WebIF >> Settings >> Advanced Settings >> Show development and advanced packages? = NO.

Last edited:
Thanks BH. I'm afraid it takes me a while to get my brain around your instructions.

Yes, clearly I have the Webif running but from the installation instructions for the 3.10 CF I thought there was an upgraded Webif to install. So I'm wrong again :(

Then it took me a while to figure your instructions above. I know, I'm a bit slow on this. However, I got there and followed your 2 sets for package management. I clicked on "upgrade package list ...." which executed quickly, then "Upgrade all packages" which took a little while to execute. I closed that and the Package Management page was on the Upgrades tab, showing nothing. Then I clicked on the Installed tab and it has been sitting there for 5 minutes saying "Loading data, please wait....." and I cannot navigate away from that page :oops:
EDIT:
Guess what. Turning the HDR off and on again cured that :thumbsup:

...... OH, and turning off the Show development and advance packages cleared up the list of installed packages and also revised the Diagnostics page.

So I think I'm sorted now, thanks for all the help and advices. :)

Back