Should I upgrade?

cabsandy

Freeview Play seems to be the new kid on the block, have had my HDR-FOXT2 for about 4 years now-it starting to show its age (drive changed once and recordings starting to just stop when viewed, which is hacking off the missus). This new box from Humax has DLNA (still seems to be a bit hit and miss?) plus ALL the major terrestrial catch-up. Wonder if its time to dive in, or wait for other boxes/for the service to be more mature?

Anybody else in the same mindset? I dont have access to Virgin, SKY I dont need.

cheers

cabs.

Freeview Play seems to be the new kid on the block
That is debatable. If by 'freeview play' you mean just the 7-day catchup then yes it is the new kid. But 'freeview play' is more than just 7 day catchup. Freeview play is also the next evolution of the freeview+ standard which itesef was not a fixed standard but an evolving one.

To gain freeview play certification last year the FVP-4000T also had to pass freeview certification testing that was based on the final version of the freeview standard as defined by D-book 7 version 4. This standard moved on this weekend. From this week the new standard is defined by D-book 8 . Any manufacturer who wants to use the freeview logos on a new model will need the model to pass D-book 8 testing. This does not apply to the FVP-4000T as it has already been tested and passed against D-Book 7. The FVP-4000T models in the shops can continue to use the freeview logos whether or not Humax update the software to comply with D-book 8.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/work/dbook.html
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/about_digital_uk/digital_uk_blog/D-Book_gets_smart_to_improve_retuning
http://www.a516digital.com/2015/03/latest-set-of-standards-prepare.html

have had my HDR-FOXT2 for about 4 years now-it starting to show its age (drive changed once and recordings starting to just stop when viewed, which is hacking off the missus). This new box from Humax has DLNA (still seems to be a bit hit and miss?) plus ALL the major terrestrial catch-up.
The HDR-FOXT2 also has DLNA. Comparing the DLNA cpabilites the FVP-4000T with the HDR-FOX T2 what you are concidering is a slight downgrade, but even more of a downgrade when you take the custom firmware helping to expand the DLNA capability.

Should I upgarde?
If you would only use non-BBC catch-up occasionally and not interested in the freeview IPTV channels (LCN 200s or red button), then overall is it really an upgrade for you? Or would the FVP-4000T be just a working replacement with very little of an upgrade for you?
The answer for me is simple that I would call it a downgrade based on what is currently on offer from the FVP-4000T.

BTW can you record on demand channels FVP-4000T to view "catch ups" at another time?
Looking to upgrade from a second hand 9200T which is getting a bit flaky; just done the clock board cleaning routine ( Thanks to Big-Les et al), but not sure if that will solve the problems longer term.
Or would I be better looking for a second hand HDR-FOXT2 ?

BTW can you record on demand channels FVP-4000T to view "catch ups" at another time?
No.
Looking to upgrade from a second hand 9200T which is getting a bit flaky; just done the clock board cleaning routine ( Thanks to Big-Les et al), but not sure if that will solve the problems longer term.
If done properly it is a long term solution.
Or would I be better looking for a second hand HDR-FOXT2 ?
That is an option but second hand HDR-FOX T2s are getting old.

Choosing a replacement isn't easy at this point in time.

Tks Martin. As a aside ( mad idea?), could a 9200T AND a HDR-FOX T2 be run in parallel feeding one LED Digital TV. i.e 4 tuners at one time+ TV's . Purpose to avoid program clashes and the need for catchup TV in the forst place??

Dunno why it wouldn't! The TV has multiple HDMI/AV inputs, doesn't it? I have two HDR-FOXes, a Blu-Ray, and a Wii going into one of my TVs.

The main purpose for catch-up is for things you forgot to record (or didn't know about until after the event).

could a 9200T AND a HDR-FOX T2 be run in parallel feeding one LED Digital TV. i.e 4 tuners at one time+ TV's .
Similarly to Black Hole I have multiple PVRs going into a TV , plus the TV's 'PVR ready' function is activated.

Currently one of my temporary PVRs connected to the TV PVR is a 9300T, which if connected by SCART is mildly irritating when it records from standby. It is connected to the TV via a normal SCART (i.e. PIN 8 is present) and therefore the TV switches to the 9300T's SCART socket when the 9300T records. If I had it permanently connected to the TV I would either modify the SCART cable or use HDMI (which unlike the 9200T the 9300T has).

Even with a spaghetti junction of cabling, I haven't had any issues caused by an HDR-FOX T2 (and usually at least 1 HDR-FOX T2 is connected) and neither have I had interference issues when a 9200T was occasionally in use.
The only interference issues I have had was with interference from a DTR-T2100. It was capable of its HDMI cable causing interference plus it would send interference back up the RF cable from its RF input port. Once identified neither of the DTR-T2100 interference issues was difficult to fix and hopefully, as you don't have a DTR-T2100, you won't get any issues.

Interesting. Tks gentlemen. Something to bear in mind. Thinking of using one for linked programs , the ones that usually "Get in the way", and the other for the one offs.

Back