sidecar package on Ubuntu ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnb

An odd request:

Is it possible to install the sidecar package on a Ubuntu computer (actually Ubuntu Server in my case)? I ask the question as the package is Linux based so thought it just might be possible.

If so, what would be the procedure?

I know it might seem an odd request but how I deal with media files, etc has changed since I installed the network-shares-automount package on my Hummy. I have done away with the external HDD and now have all my external storage on a HP Microserver running Ubuntu Server, which is now virtually an extension of my Hummy.

This has led me to start editing the video files on the Microserver with VideoReDo (saving as .m2ts for Hummy compatibility) and find there can be up to a 50% file size saving when adverts, padding, etc are stripped out on non-BBC programmes. The sidecar package on the Hummy can regenerate the sidecar files very successfully with these edited files, but it is pretty slow and it would be more convenient if the sidecar package could be run on my HP Microserver/Ubuntu Server, especially as it is likely that it would be much quicker and therefore less tedious to use.

(I realise that AV2HDR-T2 generates the sidecar files but is intended for non-Hummy compatible files, which it re-muxes and it loses any subtitle data.)

Last edited:
Is it possible to install the sidecar package on a Ubuntu computer (actually Ubuntu Server in my case)? I ask the question as the package is Linux based so thought it just might be possible.
No, as it's a different machine architecture and the instruction set is not compatible. I imagine it would be trivially easy for the author to port it though.

prpr,

Thanks for your reply.

Do you think that Raydon might consider porting it if I asked him (very) nicely?

Last edited:
Good point - as I couldn't see a way to send a message to Raydon, I have "started a conversation" with him (though I'm not too sure how that works).

Raydon,

Thank you so much. I thought I was on chances and never expected such a quick response.

I'm gob-smacked!

I'll test it out later this evening and report back.

Raydon,

The sidecar port you posted seems to work fine on my HP Microserver/Ubuntu Server.

It is incomparably faster - a 12o minute video took 28 seconds vs around 14 minutes using the sidecar on the Humax (accessing the video via network share).

Thank you so much.

I refer you to my previous post (which you missed, because I was in the process of preparing it). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back