'Sidecar' plug-in for the HDR/HD Fox T2

could it update the recording length in the hmt file when it generates a new nts file? Then if you edit out ads off-box, overwrite the ts file with the new shorter version and generate a new nts file, the timeline displayed when using the arrow keys on the remote will be accurate.
This could probably be achieved regardless. I haven't actually tried it all for real but:
Rename the current .hmt file to something else
Generate a new .hmt file
Query the length using "duration=`hmt +read32=0x288 somefilename|cut -d' ' -f1`"
Delete the new .hmt file and restore the old one
Update the duration using "hmt +patch32=0x288:$duration somefilename"
Query the start time using "starttime=`hmt +read32=0x280 somefilename|cut -d' ' -f1`"
Calculate the new end time using "endtime=$(($starttime + $duration))"
Update the end time using "hmt +patch32=0x284:$endtime somefilename"

You would of course probably want to wrap this into a proper shell script if a) it works and b) you want to do this more than once!

This could probably be achieved regardless. I haven't actually tried it all for real but:
Generate a new .hmt file
Query the length using "duration=`hmt +read32=0x288 somefilename|cut -d' ' -f1`"
Query the start time using "starttime=`hmt +read32=0x280 somefilename|cut -d' ' -f1`"

You would of course probably want to wrap this into a proper shell script if a) it works and b) you want to do this more than once!
The humax doesn't really use the duration field at 0x288 and it can be wrong, instead it used the calculated duration as end-time (0x284) - start time (0x280) for all displays.

While I agree with your comments to a certain extent, I would say that, just as a developer has the option to implement (or not implement) a request for a change to his package, he also has the right to explain (or not to explain), the reasons why. You can't demand an answer, it is not uncommon to get no answer at all, in which case the OP wouldn't have even received #73
Nobody's demanding anything - it's a simple request for further information. Refusing to satisfy the request only leads to unnecessary speculation.

The humax doesn't really use the duration field at 0x288 and it can be wrong, instead it used the calculated duration as end-time (0x284) - start time (0x280) for all displays.
I know, but if you can make it right and consistent with the other information then you should. It's hardly a costly operation.

To imply that mood or distaste somehow influences my decision making, just because a request is rejected does nothing to encourage me, in fact the exact opposite applies.
My purpose in providing this utility was never financial gain, so the suggestion that a cash incentive might spur me into action is insulting. Nor have I solicited, or require any help.
I will not be intimidated, bullied, or otherwise humiliated into entering into long winded technical discussions, purely to justify to others the decisions I make. I have neither the time or the inclination.

Not entirely sure why you put that reply against my post, as it doesn't seem to bear any relation to anything I said :)

I was attempting to make a general point that a detailed answer might indeed be useful to the questioner, after Ezra seemed to imply that the reasons could not be of interest.

It is of course entirely up to Raydon --- whose work I respect --- whether he chooses to reply at all, and if so in what detail, and I don't recall saying otherwise, nor making any such suggestions, etc, etc.

Nobody's demanding anything - it's a simple request for further information. Refusing to satisfy the request only leads to unnecessary speculation.
I wondered how long it was going to be before you jumped in. There's no show without Punch is there?
When speculation gets personal with terms like 'mood' and 'distaste' being bandied about then it's totally out of order. I responded to the original request with a no and that should have been enough. In future I will just completely ignore all requests for change. I don't need this sort of grief from you or anyone else so stop adding fuel to the fire.

Jump in? Merely commenting on what is already in the public domain, and trying to emphasise that requests (be they for additional features or for additional information) are not demands, and if they are perceived as demands that is in the reader's interpretation and not in actuality - a demand must, by necessity, be accompanied by some kind of threat, which would be next to impossible through the medium of a web forum. Since when were you elected the arbitrator of who can say what?

If you feel some heat as a result of not explaining your motives for decisions, maybe that's because we also rail against Humax's lack of transparency. Were you to explain your reasoning, you would (most likely) find that requests for features/information that fell outside that remit were no longer voiced.

Which do you think best serves the purpose of this forum?:

"Please could xxx be updated to include feature yyy" "No"

Or

"Please could xxx be updated to include feature yyy" "No, because zzz"

Generate a new .hmt file

Yes - thanks for that. In fact this topic (updating hmt files after editing off box) has been discussed in http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/feature-request-for-i-panel-info.6446/ and http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/change-recording-timestamp.5832/ - the latter thread includes a shell script to achieve something like this.
As I mentioned, I think the only downside to not bringing the hmt file into line is the time displayed when skipping through the video - it is too long. I thought it would be neat to update the appropriate hmt fields to make them consistent with the nts file when that was updated to allow skipping.
Incidently, I apologise for causing offence in my previous post - it was certainly not intended.

Since when were you elected the arbitrator of who can say what?
In my view the Moderators are the arbitrators and as far as I can see you are not a Moderator.

Again in my view the most precious resource the Custom Firmware community has are the developers. If one of the key developers doesn't want to explain his reasoning for declining a request then that is fine by me and should not be a topic for public debate.

Which do you think best serves the purpose of this forum?:

"Please could xxx be updated to include feature yyy" "No"

Or

"Please could xxx be updated to include feature yyy" "No, because zzz"
I've already answered that. I intend to completely ignore all future requests and just update as and when I see fit, thus avoiding any speculation regarding my mood or tastes.

a demand must, by necessity, be accompanied by some kind of threat
A demand does not need to be accompanied by a threat, a demand is "an insistent and peremptory request, made as of right", ( peremptory is " leaving no opportunity for denial or refusal"), my point is no-one has the right to demand or repeatedly request an explanation, sometimes you get an answer, sometimes you don't

Why? Because he can't man-up and say what's bothering him? A simple statement and explanation of intent is all that was asked for, and would have defused the debate.

The usual suspects, who would be the first to complain if their right of free speech was compromised, are having a paddy because others are exercising their right. Don't be blinkered by what it says in the dictionary - a "demand" that carries no consequences if ignored, no matter how often repeated, is not a demand. Dictionaries report how words get used, and are not a definitive authority on what words mean.

Why? Because he can't man-up and say what's bothering him?
So, my manliness is being called into question now ?
A simple statement and explanation of intent is all that was asked for, and would have defused the debate.
I already made a simple statement. It was 'no'. I intend to do nothing, consider the 'debate' defused.
The usual suspects, who would be the first to complain if their right of free speech was compromised, are having a paddy because others are exercising their right.
I exercised my right to remain silent. Let's hope others can do the same.

Don't be blinkered by what it says in the dictionary . . . Dictionaries report how words get used, and are not a definitive authority on what words mean.
So you want us to use your definition rather than the OED's?, I would say your definition has less authority than theirs

I already made a simple statement. It was 'no'. I intend to do nothing, consider the 'debate' defused.
There is nothing stopping other members producing something to do what is required. Good luck with that, you will probably be relying on (mainly) Raydon's previous work on the contents of the .hmt file to do it.

I exercised my right to remain silent. Let's hope others can do the same.
:speechless:

There is nothing stopping other members producing something to do what is required.
When I produced something derived from somebody else's work I was accused in most unpleasant terms by somebody (I forget who and I'm not going to bother looking it up at this point) of plagiarism.
That made me as mad as hell I'll tell you, so I strongly suggest nobody uses anything of anybody else's. Although recently somebody has done it. More fool them.
Anyway, it put me off ever trying to produce anything else and I removed what I'd done thus far.

When I produced something derived from somebody else's work I was accused in most unpleasant terms by somebody (I forget who and I'm not going to bother looking it up at this point) of plagiarism.
That made me as mad as hell I'll tell you, so I strongly suggest nobody uses anything of anybody else's. Although recently somebody has done it. More fool them.
Anyway, it put me off ever trying to produce anything else and I removed what I'd done thus far.
Actually, it was me in the thread here. The word plagiarism was never used, and what I did say was no more unpleasant than other insults being traded in that particular exchange, or 'debate' as BH prefers to call them. My work on HMT and NTS formats was made available to everyone at that time, and and can still be used freely by anyone for any purpose they choose.

When I produced something derived from somebody else's work I was accused ... of plagiarism.
... so I strongly suggest nobody uses anything of anybody else's.
The point is taken. (As someone who has been plagiarised in an academic sense more than once - I am very wary of doing it to others). But didn't you propose a solution at #81? This was the sort of thing I had in mind when making the comment.
My work on HMT and NTS formats was made available to everyone at that time, and and can still be used freely by anyone for any purpose they choose.
And very useful I have found them too.
Providing you don't reverse engineer a program and acknowledge Raydon's (&/or others) work I don't see a problem.
Both your experiences are making me very wary of releasing the remote interface to the 2000T I'm trying to complete. I can see nothing but trouble ahead - "why doesn't it do...", "can it do ...", "can you make it do...". How many different ways are there of saying no? (520 according to this ).

I've noticed that if you use Sidecar to create a hmt file for a standard def. recording of a channel carried on a DVB-T2 mux (e.g Film4+1) the recording gets flagged as 'HD'.

Back