Signal 0% after 30 minutes

Martin

Hi

I have always had 100% signal strength and quality on both tuners until a few days ago. (Except on the odd occasion we have very heavy rain around)
Since a few days ago 30 to 40 minutes after switch on from standby the picture starts to break up, when I check the signal strength on the diagnostics it is jumping up and down between 0% and 100% on both tuners then disappears completely. If I switch to standby and back on again the signal is back to 100% and will stay like that until I switch it off sometimes many hours later.
If I switch to standby for more than a few minutes I have to go through the same routine again, longer it is off the longer it takes for the signal to disappear as though it's temperature related.
On Saturday night I had set it to record something at 4am Sunday morning, when I watched that recording it failed 30 minutes in and nothing after that.
Any ideas please? Humax failing, LNB maybe?
Thanks for reading..

Martin

Update on this problem:

Yesterday morning was very cold, -2c overnight, when I switched on from standby it was ok but the signal was lost after 2 minutes, several attempts to get it to work by switching to standby and also unplugged a few times but nothing. Left it on just to see what would happen and after about one hour it suddenly burst into life with 100% signal and quality on the diagnostics, this happened a few minutes after the sun had come above the trees and was on the LNB! It worked perfectly for the rest of the day...
Last night I left the Humax on all night (Disabled auto standby) and this morning it was still working fine.

Question: Does the power to the LNB switch off when the Humax is in standby?

I see that one of the options in setup menu is to enable/disable power saving in standby, enabled switches off the LNB loop through. If I disable power saving does the LNB stay powered up?

I am guessing my problem is an LNB fault brought on by the cold weather and heavy rain/gales we have had recently and leaving it switched on all night kept it alive.
(I have ordered a new LNB, lot cheaper than replacing the Humax which would have been the next option)

Trev, I thought it could be water in the feeders so checked those when the problem first appeared, and I am pleased that I did!

For a professionally installed dish I could not believe how bad the workmanship was, no boots, no silicone grease, just cheap insulation tape wrapped around the connectors which had long since lost it's adhesion and was hanging off. Luckily the was enough cable to remake the ends and fit new connectors and rubber boots, but the problem still continued.

For the last 2 nights the power saving on standby setting has been disabled, which I believe leaves the LNB power on, and I have had no problems. I am guessing that moisture may have entered the LNB due to the bad feeder terminations and leaving it powered up has dried it out. :)

I have a new LNB so I can fit that if the problem returns..

Trev, I thought it could be water in the feeders to checked those when the problem first appeared, and I am pleased that I did!

For a professionally installed dish I could not believe how bad the workmanship was, no boots, no silicone grease, just cheap insulation tape wrapped around the connectors which had long since lost it's adhesion and was hanging off. Luckily the was enough cable to remake the ends and fit new connectors and rubber boots, but the problem still continued.

For the last 2 nights the power saving on standby setting has been disabled, which I believe leaves the LNB power on, and I have had no problems. I am guessing that moisture may have entered the LNB due to the bad feeder terminations and leaving it powered up has dried it out. :)

I have a new LNB so I can fit that if the problem returns..

Afaik the LNB isn't powered when low power sby is disabled. The power consumption is too low for the lnb to be powered.

Hi Graham

Reading the manual states that the LNB feed through is enabled when power saving in standby is disabled, I thought the power to the LNB for the feed through was provided by the Humax and that's why it had the option to disable power saving in standby.
I have just tried a very simple GDO clipped on the feeder and there is some meter deflection with power saving disabled, but no deflection with it enabled. However I could be sniffing something else, there is a lot of RF around here!

Hi Graham

Reading the manual states that the LNB feed through is enabled when power saving in standby is disabled, I thought the power to the LNB for the feed through was provided by the Humax and that's why it had the option to disable power saving in standby.
I have just tried a very simple GDO clipped on the feeder and there is some meter deflection with power saving disabled, but no deflection with it enabled. However I could be sniffing something else, there is a lot of RF around here!

The manual is incorrect, lnb1 out only works when the box is in low power sby. Lnb power is passed from lnb1 out (from the connected box) to lnb1 in. ie The looped box has lnb control when the Foxsat is in full sby. I have a generic fta pvr connected to my lnb1 out terminal. If the Humax provided the power you would only have approx. 25% of available channels on the looped box.

Polarisation switching (Horizontal/Vertical) is controlled by the tuner outputting 12/18V and band switching (high/low) by the presence of a 22Khz tone to switch to high band working.

There would be no point in the Foxsat powering the lnb in any sby mode. The box wakes up in the early hours anyway to carry out housekeeping duties.

Back