Signal strength confusion

GBS

I purchased an HDR Fox T2 to replace my trusty PVR 9300T. The 9300T displays a 'Signal Strength' on the system display as 74%. The Fox T2 when connected shows only 36% signal strength.
I reconnected the 9300T and it again displays a signal strength of 74% while the Fox T2, using the same cables TV etc., displays only 36% signal strength. I'm confused, does this indicate a fault in the Fox T2 unit?
I tried e-mailing Humax support but have not even had an acknowledgement much less a response.

It does rather depend what signal level each unit expects as its 100% baseline. Are you getting a poor picture? Why are you worried?

As Brian said, concern yourself with the quality figure rather than signal strength, because unless it is calibrated with a microvolt output reading it means nothing, only useful for comparison of channels within one unit and not between units (certainly not units from different makers).

I purchased an HDR Fox T2 to replace my trusty PVR 9300T. The 9300T displays a 'Signal Strength' on the system display as 74%. The Fox T2 when connected shows only 36% signal strength.
Are you sure you are tuned to the same transmitters? I have seen lower signal levels on the HDR compared to a 9200 but not as drastically different as you are reporting.

Are you sure you are tuned to the same transmitters? I have seen lower signal levels on the HDR compared to a 9200 but not as drastically different as you are reporting.

I’m 31 miles from the Dover transmitter, officially in a fringe reception area and this is the only transmitter I can access. I can pick up more French FM radio stations than our own and it’s not unusual to discover I’ve locked on to a French mobile phone network or, with my old analogue TV in the summer to find French TV channels appearing on the screen. At present I occasionally get freeview programmes dropping-out with a ‘Poor or No Signal’ message, so I guess I’m sensitive about signal issues.
We don’t get HD transmissions until June this year but I am trying to prepare for this with my new high spec. Samsung TV and a set of quality cables and the FOX T2 (plus a new aerial, the old one fell down so I had it replaced with a ‘recommended’ new one).
The picture is acceptable, some ghosting and blur, I get a slightly better picture using the TVs inbuilt freeview decoder than I do with the FOX T2.
So when HD transmissions finaly appear can I really expect a better picture through my FOX T2?

Ghosting and blur?? Not something you would expect with a digital signal at all.

When you get full DSO the digital transmission power will be hiked up. At the moment it is at limited power to avoid interference with the analogue channels. However, with 100% quality you should be getting as good a picture as anyone.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Sorry if it seems I am going on about the signal strength but is now dropped to 22% on the T2, but reconnecting the 9300 it still reads in the low 70%. I only noticed this because when I switch to the TVs inbuilt freeview as the source, with the T2 still on, I get a 'No signal' message. Doing exactly the same thing with the 9300 there is no difference in the Humax 9300 generated picture or the TVs Freeview picture. Both Humax units are set-up the same, power settings etc. Any thoughts?

Yes. Is the other unit powering a mast head ampilfier?

Conversely, do you have phantom power turned on when it shouldn't be?

Back