Signal Strength issue

RobUK

Hi there,

I just received one of these last week and yesterday I swapped it out for the old 9200T I had.

I notice that some channels stop working after a while saying that the signal is bad. Is there anything I can do on this? I don't recall an issue with the old box plugged into the same aerial cable.

I tried to look at the Signal Strength section within the menus but didn't really understnad how it worked. There were a number of 'channels' listed in there, some had different strengths, but they seemed to be numbered from 21 to 29. Does this compare in anyway t the TV channel numbers?

Rob

I tried to look at the Signal Strength section within the menus but didn't really understnad how it worked. There were a number of 'channels' listed in there, some had different strengths, but they seemed to be numbered from 21 to 29.
They are the multiplex channel numbers. You can see what multiplex channel corresponds to what multiplex name by entering your post code at http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/index/dummy/NA/yes > A list of which TV channels are provided by each multiplex name is available at http://www.dtg.org.uk/work/dtt_channels.html

To see the signal strength use the right arrow next to the OK button to select one of the multiplex numbers (maybe need to press OK, can't check as box is recording) and the is will show signal strength and quality. Tell us the list of multiplex numbers and the signal strength and quality for each of them.

Thanks, I'll check again when I get back home. I recall spot checking a few of then, some had strength around 40%, others were down around 10%.

Can I force the box to use the Reigate transmitter ( whic is my nearest) when searching for channels?

You would be best to do a manual scan, there are some notes HERE for the Humax HDR fox T2 which is very similar. The UHF channels you need for Reigate are :-
21, 24, 27, (53 = Hi-Def),57 and 60

Thanks, I'll check again when I get back home. I recall spot checking a few of then, some had strength around 40%, others were down around 10%.
40% should be fine, 10% is too low.
Can I force the box to use the Reigate transmitter ( whic is my nearest) when searching for channels?
Try doing an automatic tune; does it offer you alternatives? If so experiment with the resulting signal strength. If all else fails do a manual tune; the HDR instructions are at http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/hdr-fox-t2-tuning-advice.472/page-2#post-5824 and I expect the 2000T is similar.

Here are the current settings. All say Quality 100%

Channel - Strength

21 - 10
22 - 46
23 - 46
25 - 44
26 - 44
28 - 45
30 - 49 (DVB-T2)
33 - 41 (DVB-T2 )

They are the multiplex channel numbers. You can see what multiplex channel corresponds to what multiplex name by entering your post code at http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/index/dummy/NA/yes > A list of which TV channels are provided by each multiplex name is available at http://www.dtg.org.uk/work/dtt_channels.html

As far as i can tell from that checker I should be using channels 21- , 24, 27, 53, 57, and 60-

What does it mean by 21+ and 60- ? I am already picking up channel 21, it seems to be the lowest strength one I have. If I'm following this properly I could delete all the channels that channel 21 serves ( SDN) and then do a manual tune on channel 25 to try to pick up that multiplex from the Crystal Palace transmitter...

How accurate is the coverage predictor? If I'm understanding it correctly then it suggests the Crystal Palace transmitter is ever-so slightly better than the Reigate transmitter, despite it being further away. I am based in Crawley, postcode RH10

What does it mean by 21+ and 60- ? I am already picking up channel 21, it seems to be the lowest strength one I have.
It means that the broadcast frequency is slightly higher or lower than the nominal frequency. It isn't of concern as the tuning process should detect the correct frequency.

Thanks, I just made an edit to that post, am I right about the delete and manual tune option if channel 21 is currently receiving poorly?

Here are the current settings. All say Quality 100%

Channel - Strength

21 - 10
22 - 46
23 - 46
25 - 44
26 - 44
28 - 45
30 - 49 (DVB-T2)
33 - 41 (DVB-T2 )
So those are Crystal Palace except for 21 that is from Reigate and should duplicate 25. Do you have channels in the Guide above 800? I am disappointed the Humax software hasn't done a better job. Is your aerial pointing at Crystal Palace or Reigate?

As far as i can tell from that checker I should be using channels 21- , 24, 27, 53, 57, and 60-
Not sure where those numbers come from? I am guessing that your aerial is pointing at Crystal Palace and if so the correct channels are 22, 23,25,26,28,30,33.
I could delete all the channels that channel 21 serves ( SDN) and then do a manual tune on channel 25 to try to pick up that multiplex from the Crystal Palace transmitter...
If I was you I would follow the full manual tuning instructions; it sounds a bit complicated but is very straight forward once you have the hang of it and will take less than 10 minutes.

Not sure where those numbers come from? I am guessing that your aerial is pointing at Crystal Palace and if so the correct channels are 22, 23,25,26,28,30,33.

If I was you I would follow the full manual tuning instructions; it sounds a bit complicated but is very straight forward once you have the hang of it and will take less than 10 minutes.

Those are the Reigate channels I think, however i think you are right I should be using CP since most of the Auto Search channels are from there. For the time being I've deleted the channels that are coming in on Channel 21 and did a manual search on 25. It seems to have picked everything back up again.

Thanks for your help!

Rob

Back