Simple Newbie Enquiry

There are some notes on FTP in the WiKi HERE you won't need Betaftpd for simple file transfer, the Humax built in one will be O.K.
The Humax built-in one is incredibly buggy and does not support passive mode data connections. It does work after a fashion but some clients cause it to crash and take care to select active mode in the client configuration.

Javaman hasn't installed the Custom Firmware yet, so the built-in Humax one is his only option at present, however if he has difficulties with it then installing the Custom Firmware and then installing Betaftpd is definitely another option

Hi All
as a totally new to all this I have eventually managed to find the Humex T2 (500mb) om ny wifi network I cannot get to look at the files with FTP Commander after following all the instructions I get Connecting to 192.168.1.253 , 22 Feb 2013 17:54:11
500 Connection refused (Winsock error #10061)
but looking through wifi network on the computer and finding the box I try to open a file in windows media player and I get Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.
I have switched on FTP etc on the Humex box and I am using Windows 7
Even If I connect an external HD to the box it asks if I wish to transfer from the External HD to the Humex not from the Humex to the HD
I recorded all the news from the day my 1st granddaughter was born and will put it onto a DVD for safe keeping but at this rate she will be 18 by the time I work it out

"after following all the instructions" - which instructions? (and it's Humax not Humex.)

For ease, I hope the recordings you want on DVD are StDef not HiDef. Forget networking (FTP would not help because the raw files are encrypted). The external drive needs to be formatted as FAT not NTFS, and depending how big it is Windows might not be able to format it unassisted. For information see THINGS EVERY HD/HDR-FOX OWNER SHOULD KNOW (click), section 12 (and section 5 about encryption).

When you plug in a drive, some icons pop up on screen. Ignore them (press "EXIT"), press "MEDIA" and find something you want to copy to the external drive (this only works for StDef). Press "OPT+" and you will get an option to move/copy, and when you select the external drive as the destination the word "copy" should appear as the red button option. Performing the copy decrypts a StDef recording (not HiDef, and apart from the encryption problem HiDef recordings are a bugger to make suitable for DVD).

Once you have the recording(s) on the external drive, to burn a DVD from them you will need a video editing program that is able to take .TS as the source and burn to DVD (simply copying them as data to the DVD is not sufficient). Windows Live Movie Maker might be able to do that. If your favourite video editor will not accept .TS source, try renaming the file to .MPG (as Ezra Pound points out below). See also:
Sothink Move DVD Maker loads .ts files, converts them and burns direct to DVD in one go. Works a treat.

Free if you don't mind it putting a brief ad for itself on the front of your DVD. Or you can pay 25 quid if you'd rather it didn't.

to burn a DVD from them you will need a video editing program that is able to take .TS as the source and burn to DVD (simply copying them as data to the DVD is not sufficient).

It is possible to rename standard def. *.TS files to *.MPG as that are already in MPEG2 format, Nero Vision Express will accept these *.MPG files and will create all files required in order to burn a DVD

Ok tried to connect my external hd but this was formatted in NTFS So got a 64gb stick from Ebay and this is working ok for the transfer
although I would like to get the transfer by my network going but that is for another day
Thanks for all you advice

I would like to get the transfer by my network going but that is for another day
The information you need is HERE (click).

Many more possibilities are open to you if you are prepared to install the custom firmware:
  • Decryption of content so that files can be transferred by FTP without encryption issues;
  • Download directly from a web browser interface (with decryption on-the-fly);
  • Redundant data stripping (smaller files);
  • Repackaging as .MPG (compatible with more video players / editors);
  • Decryption and downloading of HiDef content (but still not much use for burning to DVD).
For information about the custom firmware in general, see CUSTOM FIRMWARE (click).

Back