Simple question about virtual disk and auto-unprotect

kayble

Hello all,

I have sucessfully installed the 1.09 mod firmware with auto-unprotect, busybox, mediatomb, web-if & virtual-disk packages. The process was painless and without any hitches from the box. I am now copying all my HD content to the virtual disk to remove the encryption.

The question is however - how to I do i get the unencrypted content back on to the main disk? Unless I've misunderstood, I'd want to do this so that the content is then available to play via the standard on screen display and shareable via mediatomb - without also having a copy of the same content on the virtual disk taking up space?

Thinking options might be to do it with telnet or FTP? THanks!

You don't need to copy it back. You can view it on the Humax by chosing the media -> USB -> virtual disk and watch it from there. Also, I believe the mediatomb is set up by default to serve from the virtual disk.

You don't need to copy it back. You can view it on the Humax by chosing the media -> USB -> virtual disk and watch it from there. Also, I believe the mediatomb is set up by default to serve from the virtual disk.
Important: You need to have a USB stick plugged into the front or rear port in order for the Virtual disk to appear as another USB media source.
You could delete the original encrypted video and move the unencrypted version back using the boxes own copy functions. This will save on disk space. Alternatively, just delete the original and watch the unencrypted version from Virtual, as Trevor suggested. It's entirely down to your personal preference.

sorry, yes, forgot the bit about having a USB disc plugged in...

ah ha, this was the bit that I was missing. Without a stick plugged in, I couldn't see the virtual disk in the OSD in order to copy the decrypted files back to main disk.

Thanks!

another question - when using mediatomb, do you have to copy both sd and hd .ts files to another source in order to remove the encryption and then be able to stream them? I was under the impression that only the hd ts files needed to be copied in order to remove the encryption in order for the files to be streamable? on my box - im finding that I can stream mp4,avi and mkv files that are on the main disk - but I can't stream sd or hd .ts files - apart from those that are in the virtual disk partition.

PResently copying all HD .ts files - I calculate it will take days!

The Hacker's Streamer (Mediatomb) can't decrypt the files on the fly (all the Humax' content is encrypted to start with), so you have to decrypt them manually first by clearing the Enc flag (HiDef only) and then doing an Opt+ copy to USB or virtual drive (HiDef or StDef).

Only if you are using the Humax DLNA server will the StDef files be available with on-the-fly decryption, and I think somebody said it will serve HiDef too if the Enc flag is cleared,

Only if you are using the Humax DLNA server will the StDef files be available with on-the-fly decryption, and I think somebody said it will serve HiDef too if the Enc flag is cleared,

Ah, now if that's the case, it would be more efficient for me to have auto-unprotect running and use the built-in DLNA server, rather than having to copy all the stuff I wanted to watch to the virtual drive. I'll have to give it a try.

The decrypted HD files do appear in XBMC, however the ones I've tried won't play back via the Humax DLNA server. Hmph.

Any idea where we could pull them from? I'm used to having VLC / XBMC / GOM and them just supporting most stuff out of the box these days.

HD recordings from the HDR Fox T2 are H.264/AAC, which VLC can play perfectly well (I've created several with Handbrake and they all play fine). So if VLC can't play them, there's something different about the HDR Fox T2 recordings in HD. Maybe it's the AAC 5.1 audio, I've only created files with 2.0 audio. Recording ITV1 HD would test that since the cheapskates at ITV only broadcast 2.0 audio on HD.

Nice idea; tried with Coronation Street.. no dice. I'll start looking into H.264 codecs.. or maybe do a Windows 7 SP1 update which might include them.

Nice idea; tried with Coronation Street.. no dice. I'll start looking into H.264 codecs.. or maybe do a Windows 7 SP1 update which might include them.

VLC can most definitely play H.264/AAC without needing any extra codecs, VLC has all its codecs builtin and doesn't need or even use any operating system ones. Check you've got the latest VLC, mine is 1.1.11.

If you've got the latest VLC and it can't play your HDR Fox T2 files then there is something wrong with the files. Possibly the decryption hasn't worked.

Ah, I'm talking about streaming it via XBMC, I've not downloaded the files and tried them in VLC.

Ah, I'm talking about streaming it via XBMC, I've not downloaded the files and tried them in VLC.

I'm not aware of anyone having successfully streamed HD content from the HDR Fox T2 to anything apart from an HD Fox T2 (which works fine as you'd expect being a matching product). The theory is that the HDR Fox T2 uses DTCP for HD content even if it isn't encrypted.

Back