Site Donations

Michael

Founder
Hi Everyone,

Michael here - I've kept this site up and running for over 2 years now - without many donations - I have had some, so thank you to those who have in the past. However due to circumstances in my personal life, I'm struggling to meet the costs of the virtual server that runs this website. It costs me $70 a month which is around £45 a month.

My reason for posting today is to reach out to everyone for help in keeping this website alive. I know some of you may think that £45 a month is a lot, but we've tried shared hosting in the past and it just isn't good enough to host this website, we do get a lot of visitors and page views.

I've fixed the PayPal donation widget on the home page and put a progress bar on also, so that we can see how close or far we are away from the target of $70 a month. Currently I am a month behind the rental costs for this virtual server so, $140 is required in total.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

You also seem to have fixed an annoying screen resizing that the main page used to go through on iPad.

Thank you everyone, donations have already covered last months and next months' fees. It also seems the progress bar isn't automatic, that's a shame :(

Michael

Donation of £10 has been made. Many thanks.

I would be 'lost' without this very informative site.

£20 in the pot. Thanks for all the work to keep this site going. Might be worth updating the target, as it's been at 100% of $80 for a few days now!

I'd never even realised this site had a donate button and was looking for help with running costs. I don't come here often, I've donated a modest amount that I think is commensurate with my usage. I'm sure every little helps.

If I may say something. Whether or not you have reached the monthly target, I think it might be a good idea for the bar chart never to show 100%

If users see that you have met your target figure, some might be less likely to donate, if you understand what I mean.

OTOH, if the chart was 'telling a lie', then that wouldn't be right either!

Just thinking aloud here, perhaps not a good idea with my IQ!

Count me in too.

Update - having said that, I'm getting "
Your purchase couldn't be completed

There's a problem with the merchant's PayPal account. Please try again later."
when I click the Donate button.

Chris, I have just made another Site Donation to test the facility, and the transaction completed without any problems, so perhaps you would like to try again.

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay. I've been really busy.

Based on current donations, hosting costs are covered up to 2nd April 2014. With the next bill due on 3rd April 2014.

The progress bar is manual, so I'm tempted to just turn this off as I just don't have time to keep changing it. There is £20 in the pot towards the next bill of £45.

Thanks,

Michael

Based on current donations, hosting costs are covered up to 2nd April 2014. With the next bill due on 3rd April 2014.

The progress bar is manual, so I'm tempted to just turn this off as I just don't have time to keep changing it. There is £20 in the pot towards the next bill of £45.
As I have said before, set the progress bar for the funding required for a year rather than a month.

I am shocked. The progress bar only shows 4.9% of the annual bill. There must be very few of us who have put in anything at all.

The only alternative I can think of is to make membership subscription based, but that will defeat the object.

Back