Skip and Fast Forward not working properly

I was watching a 2-hour recording of "The Last Leg of the Year" (on C4) last night. Whenever there was an ad break I hit the Skip (right arrow) button twice, which usually skips forward 4 minutes. On this occasion it was taking me back to the start of the programme every time (evening though the time at the bottom of the screen was showing roughly the correct point in the programme).
Has anyone else had this sort of issue?

(First line of post edited to correct "FF" to "Skip")

Last edited:
You say FF button, but to skip the adverts you need to be pressing the right arrow of the central 4 way toggle.

My process is press once to bring up the time line, then twice more to skip the 4 minute ad break.

The only time I have had it jump back on a couple of occasions is when the program was still recording and I was chase playing. I believe this is a well documented ’quirk’.

You say FF button, but to skip the adverts you need to be pressing the right arrow of the central 4 way toggle.

My process is press once to bring up the time line, then twice more to skip the 4 minute ad break.

The only time I have had it jump back on a couple of occasions is when the program was still recording and I was chase playing. I believe this is a well documented ’quirk’.
Sorry yes I meant the right arrow button, not the FF button! I use it all the time to skip forward 4 minutes (i.e. ad skipping), but on this occasion it refused to work every time I tried it (and there were alot of ad breaks in the 2 hour programme!)

I've also noticed that the FF button (yes I mean the FF button this time!) doesn't work if I try to FF at 4x or 8x to skip the first couple of minutes of the BBC lunchtime news (after the recording has completed). If I do this, then press the play button when I want to resume playback, I get taken back to the start of the programme every time.

???

I was watching a 2-hour recording of "The Last Leg of the Year" (on C4) last night. Whenever there was an ad break I hit the FF button twice, which usually skips forward 4 minutes. On this occasion it was taking me back to the start of the programme every time (evening though the time at the bottom of the screen was showing roughly the correct point in the programme).
Has anyone else had this sort of issue?
I would think that most Aura users will have seen this behaviour; it is clearly a bug that affects some recodings. I see it at least once a month.

Does it? Not noticed it in a recording, but there is a bug with timeshift once the 2 hours is full.

I would think that most Aura users will have seen this behaviour; it is clearly a bug that affects some recodings. I see it at least once a month.
That's interesting. It's odd that the problem is 100% repeatable with the lunchtime news on BBC1HD. I wonder if there's something specific about that programme that makes it more prone to exhibit this problem.

It's odd that the problem is 100% repeatable with the lunchtime news on BBC1HD.
I'd suspect that the live news gets a less well defined timeline than pre-recorded programmes (where the timeline exists before broadcast.

I'd suspect that the live news gets a less well defined timeline than pre-recorded programmes (where the timeline exists before broadcast.
I'm not familiar with the concept of timelines. Does this mean that there are pre-defined time points in each recording (like keyframes maybe?), and that their positioning can vary from one recording to the next?

That's interesting. It's odd that the problem is 100% repeatable with the lunchtime news on BBC1HD. I wonder if there's something specific about that programme that makes it more prone to exhibit this problem.
That is an interesting observation. I will see if I can reproduce it (I normally watch the news in SD).

I'm not familiar with the concept of timelines. Does this mean that there are pre-defined time points in each recording (like keyframes maybe?), and that their positioning can vary from one recording to the next?
Maybe. I've no idea really. But you've pointed to an apparent difference and I'm just positing possible causes.

That is an interesting observation. I will see if I can reproduce it (I normally watch the news in SD).
OK I recorded todays lunch time BBC1 News in HD on my Aura. I couldn't find any problem with skipping forward or backward. My skip settings are 1 minute forward and 15s back.

OK I recorded todays lunch time BBC1 News in HD on my Aura. I couldn't find any problem with skipping forward or backward. My skip settings are 1 minute forward and 15s back.
Can you try fast forwarding (at say 8x) until you get to the point where the newsreader starts speaking? That's where I have the problem.
My skip is set to 4 minutes forward (for ads)

Can you try fast forwarding (at say 8x) until you get to the point where the newsreader starts speaking? That's where I have the problem.
It is unfortunate that you titled the thread "Skip forward/back not working properly" when your issue seems to be with fast forward.

I deleted the HD recording so I will try and remeber to have another go tomorrow.

It is unfortunate that you titled the thread "Skip forward/back not working properly" when your issue seems to be with fast forward.

I deleted the HD recording so I will try and remeber to have another go tomorrow.
Good point - I have changed the title!

Thanks

EDIT: Actually I have 2 problems - one with Skip (on the 2-hour Last Leg programme) and the other with FF (on the BBC news)

Last edited:
This behaviour happens too on the HDR- FoxT2
Yes, particularly with recordings of early Wheeler Dealers on Quest+1. Had it during the week when skipping through adverts on ITV's Vera (ugh!). That's just pressing the right arrow on central button. Had to do that as detectads failed on that programme.
Has been an irregular occurrence for years.
Unable to post any logs as I'm a long way from the Fox.

Yes, particularly with recordings of early Wheeler Dealers on Quest+1. Had it during the week when skipping through adverts on ITV's Vera (ugh!). That's just pressing the right arrow on central button. Had to do that as detectads failed on that programme.
Has been an irregular occurrence for years.
Unable to post any logs as I'm a long way from the Fox.
The problem on the HDR T2 is known to be due to the Crop programme (use by deteactads) not correctly rebuilding the time stamps following crops and has no relevance to problems on the Aura

Ok I recorded the Monday BBC1 News in HD. Initially I couldn't reproduce the problem because I always wait until the programme starts to play before pressing fast forward or skip buttons. However I can reproduce the problem if I use the fast forward before the programme starts to play.

Ok I recorded the Monday BBC1 News in HD. Initially I couldn't reproduce the problem because I always wait until the programme starts to play before pressing fast forward or skip buttons. However I can reproduce the problem if I use the fast forward before the programme starts to play.
Many thanks for taking the trouble to do that. Just to confirm - when you say that you used the FF button before the programme starts to play, presumably you mean that you hit the OK button to open the programme and then hit FF a fraction of a second later (so technically playback had started, even if only for less than a second?),

Many thanks for taking the trouble to do that. Just to confirm - when you say that you used the FF button before the programme starts to play, presumably you mean that you hit the OK button to open the programme and then hit FF a fraction of a second later (so technically playback had started, even if only for less than a second?),
What I see is a significant pause on HD recordings before playback starts which I would define as picture appearing and the timeline starting to advance, about 3 seconds. So I would say playback hadn't started when I hit the FF button. Do you see a pause? My setup is Aura connected by HDMI to LG 49UJ750V.

Back