sky now TV / Netflix

roobybaby

Hi there, my first post. Im looking to buy a PVR and my requirements are;

1. Watch VoD such as Netflix / nowTV
2. Internal hard drive for recording and able to transfer to external disk over Ethernet or usb
3. Supports DLNA.

From what I can see from Humax, such a PVR does not exist. The HDR-2000T looks a good fit but I belive you cant watch Netflix / Sky nowTV. Is this correct? The DTR-2000 also looks a good fit but no DLNA or the ability to transfer recordings.

Any suggestions or advice much appreciated. Cheers.

Humax are developing a new Freeview Play PVR with 3 Tuners that may do what you want, no idea when it going to be launched though. There is some info. on Freview Play HERE
EDIT
Found another link that mentions Humax's Freeview Play PVR (to be released later this year) HERE.

I wonder if Humax's commercial director Graham North is related to Freeview Play's managing director Guy North

Last edited:
The Humax PVRs support DLNA and offloading to USB, all you need to do then is add an Amazon Fire TV stick thingy for the on-demand stuff.

Can you imagine what the 1st generation Humax Freeview Play boxes will be like? It will probably take at least a couple of years and several updates before it becomes usable/reliable.

:)

Im looking to buy a PVR and my requirements are;

1. Watch VoD such as Netflix / nowTV
2. Internal hard drive for recording and able to transfer to external disk over Ethernet or usb
3. Supports DLNA.
... The DTR-2000 also looks a good fit but no DLNA or the ability to transfer recordings.
Presuming that you a referring to the DTR-T2000, it does not have NowTV Entertainment or live sports capability, for NowTV it only has films capability.

The Humax PVRs support DLNA and offloading to USB, all you need to do then is add an Amazon Fire TV stick thingy for the on-demand stuff.
It depends on which streaming services you want. Amazon Fire has Amazon Instant Video and Netflix, but no Now TV. Chromecast has Now TV and Netflix but no Amazon, and you need an Android device to drive the Chromecast. The Now TV box is cheap but it has no Netflix. It does have the main UK TV catch up services (iPlayer, ITV Player, All 4, and Demand 5). You can pay extra and buy a Roku box, which has Netflix too. The Youview PVRs have Netflix and some Now TV services: some On Demand movies are not available (Now TV website doesn't specify which) and there is no live streaming of the movie channels on this platform. You can't access the Now TV Entertainment package on Youview, and their sport passes have been withdrawn from Talk Talk Youview boxes. Basically Now TV on Youview sucks.

Can you imagine what the 1st generation Humax Freeview Play boxes will be like? It will probably take at least a couple of years and several updates before it becomes usable/reliable.

:)
Yes, I am imagining it right now :eek: Also, instead of issuing updates in a timely fashion on the main Humax website, they will be slowly drip-fed via MHO to people who ask nicely.

The offering is so much in flux it seems imprudent to lock oneself in to any particular subset - even if that subset is "everything available now". Buying a "smart" TV or PVR is to hope (cough) that the unit will be updateable, and updates made available to encompass any new services. It seems to me that the prudent thing to do is to isolate the vague bits in a cheap-to-replace device, or a dedicated device that is most likely to be provided with updates - ie a general purpose Windows or Android media player box.

Back