sky player mp4 files

woto

Hi
only had my T2 for a couple of wks now and getting to grips with it all. the only thing i am getting stuck on is when i have saved the last streamed file from sky player, i cant decrypted it, or when i download it to the pc, it will not play and looks like its encrypted still. what am i doing wrong? how do i enable the file to play on the pc.

regards
woto

So what are you doing exactly? Using the Web Interface "save last streamed" button? All that happens with save last streamed is the buffer file is copied out to a filename of your choice with .mp4 extension. It works with YouTube and iPlayer because the streamed content is not DRM protected. I don't know for sure, but if the Sky stream is DRMed the buffer will be copied complete with DRM, no option.

Yes using the web interface to download it to the pc. Just wondered if the was a way of taking the protection off like you can with the HD files.

Encryption/decryption of HiDef and StDef is handled entirely within the Humax hardware, all we do is con it into thinking the HiDef recordings are actually StDef and treating them as such. I don't know how MP4 DRM works, but I guess the decoding software negotiates with the content provider for a session key.

We wouldn't want to get into that as it raises copyright issues at a much more serious level than our unlocking efforts - the broadcast StDef and HiDef streams are not encrypted over the air, only after the service has been extracted from the multiplex and is on its way to disk as a contractural agreement for use of the EPG data.

If you really must I suggest looking into cracking the MP4 once you have got it on your PC.

Back