Slow internet download

fishy-2007

Hi there

I am thinking about purchasing either a DTR1000 or DTR1010. One concern that I have is that in my very rural location our internet download speed is often quite low say 1Mbps. I know Youview needs ~3Mbps to function properly but at my lower line speed would I still be able to use the box and just have to suffer buffering issues during programmes or is there a risk the system would not work at all?

I can usually watch iPlayer on my PC albeit that I might have one or two short buffering episodes during a 1hr Tv programme.

Also, as an additional question, is there any substantial difference between the two models or are they just the same thing re software, packaged in a different box?

Any help greatly appreciated.

fishy-2007

I don't own a DTR1000/1010 but it was reported that when launched the DTR1000 did not buffer content from the internet at all, so if I were you I would check this out before purchase. The Humax HDR Freeview box does buffer into a file on the hard disk so it is possible download at a very slow rate and watch the program when download is complete. The difference between the 1000 and the 1010 is cosmetic, they basically released the 1000 in the old HDR case and then designed a new case calling the new package the 1010

See the note on IPTV HDD buffer (for slow broadband) = No HERE

That's great Ezra, thanks for the advice, I assume that even if my slow broadband compromises my enjoyment of the Youview component of the box that the PVR functionality will be OK as this is presumably fed from the arial rather than the internet? (Sorry if I am exposing my considerable ignorance!)

fishy-2007

I assume that even if my slow broadband compromises my enjoyment of the Youview component of the box that the PVR functionality will be OK as this is presumably fed from the arial rather than the internet?

Yes, you are correct, I would say though that the advantages that you get with the DTR-T1000 over the HDR are the services carried over the internet e.g. the catch up TV channels on ITV-Player, 4OD, Demand5 etc. as far as TV content 'from your aerial' the HDR has the same features as the DTR-T1000/1010 and also has a lot of advantages as detailed in the list above

Thanks for your help again Ezra and Black Hole, I see the HDR gives access to the Humax Portal and this will allow me to access BBC iPlayer and suchlike, this will probably be enough for my purposes and by the looks of the threads on this forum the HDR is a better piece of kit in any case.

fishy-2007

Thanks for your help again Ezra and Black Hole, I see the HDR gives access to the Humax Portal and this will allow me to access BBC iPlayer and suchlike, this will probably be enough for my purposes and by the looks of the threads on this forum the HDR is a better piece of kit in any case.

If you want to customise, HDR-FOX is the way to go - but note the Portal is rather restricted (BBC iPlayer, YouTube, and Internet Radio are the only things of any consequence). No ITV Player, 4OD etc.

The customised HDR can access Sky Go if you have a Sky login (or can get one), and of course it opens up all the possibilities for remote control and access, recording decryption etc that will never be available on the YouView box.

You will find bias towards The HDR on this forum (including from me) as there are a lot more HDR owners. The HDR will provide BBC I-player, YouTube, internet radio etc. but it is very unlikely to have any of the other 'catch-up' services detailed in #5 added in the future. Humax are saying extra 'Apps.' will be available but they are unlikely to be 'catch-up' services. If you want to get files off your PVR to keep (including BBC-Iplayer and YouTube videos) this is possible with the HDR, although some things are only possible if you install Custom Firmware, which is something else you are very unlikely to ever get with the DTR-T1000/1010

Back