Slow loading network pictures

surefire

Does anyone know why it takes so long to load and view images over the network from another PC. The images are around 4-5 meg in size but this is standard when taken with modern 10 mega pixel cameras. Short of reducing the size of all my images, is there a way I can speed it up a bit?

Thanks

There a few things to conciser, even files already on the Humax, that don't have to be transferred over the network take a certain amount of time to be processed, they have to be converted by the Humax into a 2 meg format (1920 X 1080) before being displayed on your TV, so a 10 meg picture (when expanded from it's 4-5 meg file) has 5 times more pixels than can be used, 8 megs worth are dis guarded

The current generation of cameras with pixel counts of 12Mp and over produce images that are much larger than required - or optimal - for viewing on most devices. I view photos on a variety of laptops and tablets and as a matter of course I make a reduced version of each pic (I use 1280 pixels on the longest edge and 70% jpeg quality) for network viewing. This is particularly useful if I upload image sets to Google Drive or Box - each pic is a few hundred KB instead of several MB and the upload time in particular is drastically reduced. Using free software like Irfanview or Faststone you can resize image sets very quickly.

Obviously, if you do this, keep your full-resolution versions safe for editing/printing.

Does anyone know why it takes so long to load and view images over the network from another PC. The images are around 4-5 meg in size but this is standard when taken with modern 10 mega pixel cameras. Short of reducing the size of all my images, is there a way I can speed it up a bit?
If you try reading them from a USB drive instead of across the network, you will see they still take a long time to load. If this is a typical way you want to display them, bearing in mind the maximum resolution the Humax will output is 1920x1080, it would be worth doing a batch process to convert your display set to 1920x1080 once rather than make the Humax do it each time.

Back