Slow 'Processing'...Any Thoughts?

lancer

I have the latest CWF version loaded.

In the last week or two, when in the recorded programmes folder list, the unit has been showing 'processing' on screen when moving between items for much longer than previously (several seconds the norm, sometimes a little longer). This happens when coming out of a recording, when moving a recording, when leaving a folder to go back to main list etc.

I have now tried a 'restore defaults' followed by a switch off and on at the back. This improved the speed situation with 'processing' only showing for a second or two as before. However, an hour or two later on it reverted to the slower 'processing' behaviour again.

Any wisdom available on why 'processing' is taking longer now - and where the fault lies (HDD?), and what the remedy is?

The first port of call is to look at and post here the disk statistics from the Diagnostics page.

The next thing would be to run fix-disk from maintenance mode, also available from Diag.
This can take some time so best left to run overnight.

I did recently look at a log following a crash where it locked up - and no errors etc were present!
Disk errors don't necessarily cause log records to be produced but a single faulty sector in a frequently used file can cause significant slowdowns

Just to close the loop on this issue (which often posts don't do!), I replaced the HDD and the slow processing problem has been solved. Now whip fast again!

I didn’t, as the disc had been used for several years and had appeared to be getting ‘weary’, in various respects, in recent times before the slow processing issue started.

Basically, you're timid of the command line (which would be required for fixdisk). It's a necessary step, stop avoiding it.

I know you're a man of some wisdom around the T2 on this forum, but expanding that to an apparent knowledge of what someone you don't know either thinks or feels is beyond even your capabilities. Please desist and stick with what you have an undeniable talent for...it's safer that way.

Are you denying it? So what will it take to goad you into action? You're asking for help in a couple of threads but not following up on the help and somehow being deliberately blinkered. The command line is not scary once you try it*, and it is essential to HDR-FOX healthcare. It's not just me, you won't get much sympathy from any of the techies if you are resistant to following the steps advised.

* I accept Telnet is a bit troublesome if you can't be bothered to install a utility in Windows or whatever, but that has been circumvented by the webshell package which makes the whole thing completely trivial.

Last edited:
You have possibly got blinkers on yourself to what I have been saying in the requests made. I have only relatively recently become a user of the CF (I know, I should have done it years ago) so things that are second nature to you old hands with it are new to me.

I thought I was making it clear in my answers that I was unfamiliar with the processes, that are second nature to you, when I ask for a clear process to follow (i.e. literally the a,b,c of it). Often replies assume a starting knowledge I haven't got! I'm sure some of the suggestions might be helpful, but if I don't know how to implement them I can't do it! Believe me, I find it as frustrating as you clearly do.

Back