Slow Remote

Thanks for the replies, I will try another fixdisk as it was different the second time I ran it, just to see if it completes normally, if not I will do fsck on my Fedora box.
I questioned NVM as I have read it can fail after time.
With regards to log timestamp, I had another file and the one posted was the latest,
Thanks

With regards to log timestamp, I had another file and the one posted was the latest,
You posted fixdisk logs in posts 21, 24, and 32. They are identical. The help we've been trying to provide was based on the idea that each posted log showed the latest run, but actually you've been showing us the same log each time (no doubt inadvertently).

I questioned NVM as I have read it can fail after time.
And no doubt it will, but we've seen no conclusive example of a Flash failure.

OK regarding NVM but i thought I would check and history.
Regarding fixdisk logs, I seem to have two files a fix-disk.0.log and fix-disk.1.log which I cleared.
I then checked the 0.log and its dated two days ago.
Attached is its contents as I said I did not think it got past 50% but I cannot see anything to confirm it went OK!?
Now I know where the logs are stored I could do another fix-disk if necessary.

All still OK ATM

Attachments

• fix-disk.0.log.txt
    50.3 KB · Views: 7
I'm sorry, but that is yet again the same log as the one in post 21. If nothing else, look at the time stamp at the start and end of the run! The content in between is identical, and the only difference is that the post 43 attachment has some pre-amble and post-amble where you've copy & pasted from a terminal session.

The attachment has a fix-disk date of 14th started 12:43 finished 12:51 when it was last done, I thought it was the latest!
I cleared a log.I file which is now empty. I cannot see any other fix-disk log files.
If I am doing something wrong let me know.
Later today I will do another fix-disk, check the time and send any log with that timestamp in case it shows something still not right.
(still working OK ATM)

If I am doing something wrong let me know.
I don't know what you're doing wrong, because your posts are so vague. What I know is you posted results from one fixdisk run (your first) four times, which is not only unnecessary but unhelpful, because it took time to find out they are one and the same.

How are we supposed to offer an opinion and help on your quest unless you give us the results from more recent fixdisk runs so we can see the progress? I get ticked off when I lose patience with somebody, but I'm spending valuable time trying to help in good faith!

Do another fixdisk (if everything is OK it should only take a few minutes), and post the results FROM THE LATEST RUN.

ATM I have no internet, the router is very warm and cannot get into the box, so need to sort this out before proceeding.
There's a fault on the network and BT have given a max 4 day completion time.
I will try and get the lan working over the weekend and post latest run.
Thursday evening it developed another fault, it will not pause on a programme and recordings are erratic, sometimes they stop after 30 minutes and sometimes there's no recording at all, I also noticed that when I play a recording the word "deleting" appears for a moment in the top right of the screen!
I suspect if I do a fix-disk it will take some time and I am beginning to think it's the end of my Humax experience.

I suspect if I do a fix-disk it will take some time and I am beginning to think it's the end of my Humax experience.
All there is evidence for is a dodgy HDD, despite the SMART stats looking clean – but I admit there would be an element of a gamble if you were to spend out to replace the HDD.

I had a spare HDD i could try to prove its the drive but its not specifically for a PVR but thought SMART was very reliable in finding failing drives.

You could try telnetting in and using the DD command to wipe the disk clean, then let the HDR reformat.
Last year I bought a 2nd hand unit that was sold as faulty. Fix disk did reduce the errors to zero twice, but the errors quickly came back. After wiping the HDD, it has been in use since and has had no issues.
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/does...ean-that-my-drive-is-dying.10318/#post-156881

That sounds promising., looking at the thread i can't see any SMART reference, do you remember the state of the drive at the time?

I took a screenshot before I tried to fix it.
1655556331576.png
After the DD command and an HDR reformat this were both zero and still (17/6/22) are.
The Reallocated_Sector_Ct was zero and remains at zero.

My T2 again started to run slow and not record.
Have been sorting out a network problem but have done another fix-disk this afternoon which is attached.
I had a problem getting into maintenance mode so will be doing a backup soon!
To summarize, I could not record and pause which did not show a blue line even if the channel had been on 30minutes, I just checked and after about half hour of doing fix-disk, it is now working again and I can pause it as normal.
The file system now seems to be getting corrupted quite quickly and if the problem is 80-90% likely to be the HDD then I will try swapping if.
Any other advice not already given would be appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• fix-disk.0.log(3).txt
    12.2 KB · Views: 4
See post #33. Again.

There's nothing wrong with the hard disk.
The filesystem IS corrupt, that's why it keeps going wrong.
Just format the bloody thing will you and stop wasting everyone's time (yours included).

I have always managed to FSCK to solve this type of problem over the years, this is the first time it hasn't for me.

No need to waste your bl**dy time replying.

I have transferred all the programmes I want to keep on to a Linux PC via FTP (filezilla) but cannot find the info on how to get the CF to reformat a less than 1TB disk.
I also tried deleting programmes via FTP which caused at error then found the T2 had made the disk read only again.
Can someone point me to the info on how to reformat my read only 500Gb disk please or will I need to wipe it using the PC then re-install it?
Thanks

If your disk had potential hardware issues (bad sectors), it would better to format it, or ATA secure erase it, on the PC, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

You can format a 512GB disk in the system using the on-screen menus.

There is so much information on the WiKi and forums that I found it difficult to find the the information i needed. I kept finding references to format with the box but although I did a
Menu>Settings>System (I thought it would be on that menu) and did not go down one more level to Data Storage..
Out of interest, does the format just create the three ext3 partitions or copy other data into the them to ensure the box operates correctly?
I will format the HDD, copy my programmes back and hope it solves the problem as it seems to have been corrupting and going to RO mode quicker.
Thanks

Can someone point me to the info on how to reformat my read only 500Gb disk
Menu >> Settings >> System >> Data Storage >> Format Storage... it's not that hard to find!

There is so much information on the WiKi and forums that I found it difficult to find the the information i needed
That's because we do not tend to document the stuff which is normal to the HDR-FOX and can be found in the owner's handbook.

Yep I did think it might be the case.
FWIW, I bought the box second hand without a manual but should have downloaded it. On disassembly its labelled as a 1Tb model but fitted with a WD 500Gb!.

Back