Software 1.03.06 and Edimax 7711UAn wireless adaptor

Have you thought of using HomePlugs?
Yes have 'thought' about it but really do, not want to go for another solution with extra expense involved and then find that doesn't work also perhaps on this new Humax software.
I realise you now have a WiFi solution working, but for reference the beauty of a HomePlug link is that the connected devices see a wired connection - and require no drivers etc other than those for a normal wired connection. I second the recommendation for Devolo, I use the more expensive 500Mbps units with pass-through sockets. One cannot rely on DHCP with HomePlugs that drop to a low-power standby state though, they don't wake up quickly enough to guarantee the IP address hand-out - solution: use manual IP address setting.

Is it definitely the software version that is to blame? I have a HDR (1.02.32) with an Edimax 7711UAn (both > 2 years old) and a HD (1.02.29) which had an Edimax 7711UTn (the small one). The signal strength on the HD was a bit weak so I bought a new 7711UAn to improve this. The new dongle was packaged in the same box but with a Windows 8 sticker on it. Inside was a new version of the driver cd with updated drivers and a new colour instruction leaflet. However, while the HD could detect the dongle, it could not find any networks. The same was true when I tried it with my HDR. I assumed that it was faulty, so I sent it back. The replacement was the older version (no Win 8 logo, older driver cd) and this worked perfectly. Of course, the first dongle could have been defective, but it is also possible that Edimax have made some changes that are not supported by the Humax software.

Having read Jasperoni's post (#19), the fact that the wireless connection works with a different manufacturer's dongle makes me think that it is a problem with new Edimax 7711UAn dongles rather than the version 1.03.06 HDR software.

I hope your DIGIFLEX WiFi dongle will be OK when you re-site your Humax. I must admit that it's not a brand that I am familiar with, perhaps Ezra can add it to his list of working dongles.

Edit: Is yours by any chance one of THESE.

Yep, that's the one, expensive bit of kit isn't it!!!;) . Couldn't put a link to it as am not allowed to post links etc being a neewbie to the forum.

Having read Jasperoni's post (#19), the fact that the wireless connection works with a different manufacturer's dongle makes me think that it is a problem with new Edimax 7711UAn dongles rather than the version 1.03.06 HDR software.

Thank you for this info. This sounds like it could possibly be the answer. My Edimax has the Win8 logo on the box. Would be nice to return it for replacement but as it is not really faulty............ and anyway would likely get similar item back.:(

If you bought it on line, distance selling regulations permit you to reject it for any reason at all within 14 days (or is it 7 days?) as long as you return it in resalable condition, but you might not get postage refunded.

Yep, that's the one, expensive bit of kit isn't it!!!;) . Couldn't put a link to it as am not allowed to post links etc being a neewbie to the forum.
You should be able to post links now, as you have made more than 10 posts.

Thank you for this info. This sounds like it could possibly be the answer. My Edimax has the Win8 logo on the box. Would be nice to return it for replacement but as it is not really faulty............ and anyway would likely get similar item back.:(
I got my 'Win 8' Edimax dongle via A****n: it was fulfilled by them but was stock from a different seller (a few pence cheaper). When I sent it back, I got issued a refund automatically as they don't do exhanges on other seller's goods. I ordered the replacement from A****n directly and got the older (working) version. This was a couple of months ago so they may be on the new ones by now, but in any case you should be able to request a refund rather than an exchange :)

Right! Have tried moving the Humax into its final position and tested the wifi connection using the DIGIFLEX Wireless Internet USB Adaptor WiFi Dongle (sorry but still unable to insert link).

The Digiflex works OK but the speed is, as expected, somewhat down at 36Mbs as opposed to 54Mbs when adjacent to router. Thus it would appear that it is the Edimax which is not compatible, at least the newer Win8 compatible models aren't.

Many thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, you're brilliant!!

You may get a better signal by attaching the Digiflex to a short USB extender, this will allow you to move it about for a better connection.
BTW
Digiflex with Amazon link and 7711 Win8 Edimax now updated in Wiki HERE

You may get a better signal by attaching the Digiflex to a short USB extender, this will allow you to move it about for a better connection.
BTW
Digiflex with Amazon link and 7711 Win8 Edimax now updated in Wiki HERE

Thanks again for the advice Ezra. Once I relocate the Humax to its permanent position (am still "playing" with it in a temporary position until I am satisfied all is working well) I will try this.

You should be able to post links now, as you have made more than 10 posts.
I have just checked the settings, and the new member restriction on posting links is set to 5 posts.

Edit: I see that you have just posted a link in your quote from Ezra above.

I have just checked the settings, and the new member restriction on posting links is set to 5 posts.

Edit: I see that you have just posted a link in your quote from Ezra above.
Hi Brian, no I didn't post a link, think that was Ezra. The link icon on the menu above what I am presently typing is blanked out so assume I am not allowed to link addresses etc. Perhaps links are inserted a different way?

For info I have arranged return of the Edimax to Amazon, purchased 21 July, so return within 30 days and they pay the return postage - seems a good deal to me!

Anyway, thanks again guys for all your help.

The Link icon is blanked out until you select a portion of text in which you want to insert the link.
Another way to post a link is to copy and paste the link into a blank part of your message.

I think Brian is saying that if you were not allowed to post web links, that any copied links in a 'reply' would also be blocked

I'd never really though about it before, but I suppose it is a bit counter intuitive the way you insert a Web link into a post.
As Brian says you can't start by clicking on the 'Link' icon, however if you type 'There is a link HERE' and then highlight say the 'HERE' text, you can then click on the 'link' icon and enter the web link that will be stored behind the highlighted text

I'd never really though about it before, but I suppose it is a bit counter intuitive the way you insert a Web link into a post.
As Brian says you can't start by clicking on the 'Link' icon, however if you type 'There is a link HERE' and then highlight say the 'HERE' text, you can then click on the 'link' icon and enter the web link that will be stored behind the highlighted text
As usual, many thanks guys for putting me straight on this.

The tools are available even before you are entitled to post links, they get removed when you click the "post" button.

Back