Solution to Windows/SMB share contents not being visible

everthewatcher

Forum Supporter
Looks like I may have found the solution to Windows/SMB shares being visible from the HDR but not their content - forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere.

The clue was scanmounts.log having this:
mount: mounting //192.168.1.11/SharedMedia on /media/CASTLE failed: Cannot allocate memory

It seems Windows has to be told it's acting a server and needs a couple of registry changes.

Here's a few links to the solution:
It had got to the point of being a daily occurence here, which I now realise was probably down to the increasing number of files in the share, to the extent that I'd started using DLNA. Since I've made the changes on a Win7 machine last week the problem has gone away.

Last edited:
My comments are purely cosmetic: how about putting that you are talking about a Windows share in the title?

It may well be a common problem, but for an uncommon scenario. How many people use a Windows machine to serve their viewing? Not me, that's for sure.

There's a shared drive on the Win7 machine that's used for non off-air stuff - Youtube and iPlayer downloads etc. - plus some recordings pulled from a long-gone 9200T.

Anything recorded on the HDR gets played on it, although I have started offloading HD films to the shared drive.

Just for the record, in case the linked sites go away:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters]
"Size"=dword:00000003

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
"LargeSystemCache"=dword:00000001

Back