Some Advice for CRT TV Users

Hi Guys

As a user who has an old style CRT TV (not being changed for a very long time as it is a B&O!) I was a little worried that I would have issues with the fact that the HDR does not have 2 SCART connections.

Well my fears were allayed finally as I simply do not need to connect the HDR to my Freeview Panny DVD Recorder, due to the fact I have 3 SCART connections on my TV all worked OK, even though at 04.30 this morning I was woken to the TV turning on! All I needed to do was to "confuse" the TV by not connecting my HDR to the main AV SCART, but to my secondary V.Tape SCART and then connecting the DVD from it's second SCART to my AV SCART on the TV, therefore stopping the TV form turning on automatically whenever the HDR searches for new software or the DVD searches for a new TV Guide (something it does twice a day.)

You may wonder why this would be an issue, well apart from the fact the TV would come on every morning at 04.30 and then again every time the DVD searched for new software, I can't imply turn the TV off at the switch it needs to be left in Standby mode as it has a PIN code security feature which means if it is turned off for more than 15-30 mins when switched on again you need to enter a PIN code to get it to work.!

Sounds like another contender for 'Cut pin 8 on the scart lead', Pin 8 does the auto switching to this scart when an item powers up. It does mean when using the modified scart lead that your TV will never auto switch to it.

All I needed to do was to "confuse" the TV by not connecting my HDR to the main AV SCART, but to my secondary V.Tape SCART and then connecting the DVD from it's second SCART to my AV SCART on the TV, therefore stopping the TV form turning on automatically whenever the HDR seraches for new software or the DVD searches for a new TV Guide (something it does twice a day.)
Does the secondary TV SCART input support RGB? If not you may see a reduction in picture quality.

I'm surprised that is not optional.
Well Black Hole it can be turned off, but then I would have to keep turning the TV off and on at the set as well as the fact that if it ever was stolen, it would not be protected and considering what i paid for it and what it is worth now, I don't want to risk it!

Does the secondary TV SCART input support RGB? If not you may see a reduction in picture quality.
Thanks xyz321, I have noticed the drop in picture quality, but I only connect my DVD/HDD recorder to that and I am used to it now after 5 years! I will need to see if I can use the "Decoder" SCART to see if that works any better!

Sounds like another contender for 'Cut pin 8 on the scart lead', Pin 8 does the auto switching to this scart when an item powers up. It does mean when using the modified scart lead that your TV will never auto switch to it.
Hi Ezra, thanks for this, how do I go about cutting the pin 8? Is there an easy way for a non techy to do it? I dod have a lot of spare SCART leads, so I will have to have a go! Looks like Google will be busy this afternoon!

Thanks for the tip, as for the TV never auto switching on, i don't like that option so would be more than happy, as this would also solve the downgraded picture quality that xyz321 mentioned and i would get woken up at 04:30hrs every day!

Hi Ezra, thanks for this, how do I go about cutting the pin 8? Is there an easy way for a non techy to do it? I dod have a lot of spare SCART leads, so I will have to have a go! Looks like Google will be busy this afternoon!

Thanks for the tip, as for the TV never auto switching on, i don't like that option so would be more than happy, as this would also solve the downgraded picture quality that xyz321 mentioned and i would get woken up at 04:30hrs every day!

Use snipe nose pliers and twist the pin round and back again till it snaps off

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...HsoaT_OGBcqEhQfYh827DA&sqi=2&ved=0CKMBEPUBMAo.

Well Black Hole it can be turned off, but then I would have to keep turning the TV off and on at the set as well as the fact that if it ever was stolen, it would not be protected and considering what i paid for it and what it is worth now, I don't want to risk it!
Don't take this personally, but just how much is a non-Freeview CRT telly worth these days (even B&O)???

Don't take this personally, but just how much is a non-Freeview CRT telly worth these days (even B&O)???

Well I now what you are saying, Lifetstyle AV the company that help run the Beoworld website wont buy them, but the picture quality is OK for me and I can't justify the cost to replace it with a current one form the B&O range, it would cost me over £10k , and as it cost more than £4k over 6 years ago, I made a promise that it would last at least 20 years before I decided to change it!

My Father had a B&O amplifer for over 30 years, and it was still going strong when he passed away, so i hope my TV will last a few more years!

And thanks to all the help form you guys on here my TV is now working OK, so all OK for now!

Back