Some advice please

Undertoker

Hi guys
I have two questions

I usually purchase a Humax box with a hard drive in and have several.
I have just bought a HB-1100S and want to add a usb hard drive to it.
What I want to ask is what format should I format the drive in that I plug into the USB port?
I have a USB memory stick with 250 GB on and I’m hoping that might work without the need to purchase an external hard drive but I’m not sure what format they should be in.

I have a humax box that works ok but the hard drive seems to be playing up, it won’t record.
Are they easy to change ?
Can any harddrive be fitted and again what format should they be formatted to please ?
NTFS or Fat32 etc ?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me
Regards
John

You cannot use a flash memory stick with a HB-1100S. You have to use a usb device with a conventional hard disk. It does not matter what the hard disk is formatted as Your box will need to format itself with to use as a recording disk.

Yes you can change the hard disk in a Humax recorder. However make and model would help ? To say it won't record is not much help. Can you see the existing recordings. Can you live pause TV ?

thanks for the reply Graham
the one with the dead drive is not showing the content nor can i record to it - i press "R" it does nothing sadly
However it does read the drive on my PC - so i am worried it is the controller on the board possibly
The model is an HDR-1000S 1tb
it has a seagate drive in it
It actually belongs to my elderly mother so im hoping i can sort it out for her

thanks for the reply Graham
the one with the dead drive is not showing the content nor can i record to it - i press "R" it does nothing sadly
However it does read the drive on my PC - so i am worried it is the controller on the board possibly
The model is an HDR-1000S 1tb
it has a seagate drive in it
It actually belongs to my elderly mother so i'm hoping i can sort it out for her

There is known fault on the G2 boxes that is attributed to failure of a component on the mother board rather than the SATA controller. For a while Humax offered a fix or replacement within the 2yr warranty.

They were even able to return the box with the full recordings intact for a while after replacing the mother board, . They clearly had the capability to change the encryption keys. For full details look at the MyHumax relevant threads.

Some excellent detective work on Hummy.TV reveals the key is simply based on the box MAC address and it's serial number, I imagine the newer box is similar.

There is some confusion, a post from Humax support mentions a faulty resistor.

I have a very early HDR-1000S that appears to be immune supporting the component issue. Now on the second 2TB drive replacement.

As you can read the HDD, suggest you copy the the contents of the video partition to your PC. The HD recordings will be encrypted so only the original box will play back. So once fixed should be able to be restored,

There is one company that offers to fix this for a fixed price.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Many thanks Graham
Interestingly an external drive plugged into the USB port was detected and offered to format it.
I cannot lose the data on that drive, so ive ordered an external caddy for a tenner for the drive to USB and hopefully she will be able to use it and then i will probably send it in for the repair, its a shame there isn't anyone on the UK mainland doing it.
thank you again for your help

Many thanks Graham
Interestingly an external drive plugged into the USB port was detected and offered to format it.
I cannot lose the data on that drive, so ive ordered an external caddy for a tenner for the drive to USB and hopefully she will be able to use it and then i will probably send it in for the repair, its a shame there isn't anyone on the UK mainland doing it.
thank you again for your help

You can't use a USB HDD to record to. The message you get is thought to be a bit of redundant code from the HB single tuner boxes that will record to USB. If you disconnect the internal HDD power and data connections You may be able to use the box as a non recording Freesat source.

Back