Some basic questions on the custom FW

peterh337 : It says Invalid Time Values.
peterh337 : I read that very long article on disabling the OTA updates, and the other one (item 1 in Things ever...) but cannot understand what I am supposed to do.
I missed out the date line :-

using the Remote control :-

Guide >> Schedule (Yellow) >> +New Reservation >> O.K.
Channel = [Any]
Date = [Tomorrow's date]
Start Time = 04:15
End Time = 04:45
Repeat = Daily
Mode = Reminder

O.K.

Another 3 words :), may-be this 26 word version will be more understandable than the 1400 word version

Also Notes on decryption are in the WiKi HERE

but if you write 1000 words of your best English free flowing prose, it's easy to miss something
Only if the reader chooses to. The prose of which you speak explains why and what, but if you are only interested in how then the how is signposted.

It actually said 10 posts when I tried it.

I have now managed to decrypt everything I tried.

Many thanks everyone for your help.

Oddly enough no video editor I have will import the .ts files but Handbrake converts them fine to .mp4.

I have Sony Vegas Platinum. Not free either but very good. And Handbrake takes in practically every video format I have ever thrown at it. Certainly anything that VLC will play.

A particular one hour Freeview TV programme produced a 1.3GB .ts file (704x576) which Handbrake converted to a 770k .mp4 and the resulting video DVD is 4.3GB so it just fits onto a normal DVD which "should" play in any DVD player.

Actually most DVD players will also play the .mp4 file sitting on a CD or DVD...

So you're converting from mpeg2 to mpeg4 and back to mpeg2 again to go on the DVD. Why don't you just (losslessly) extract the mpeg2 data from the .ts ?
And what's all this about it "just" fitting a DVD which is 4.7GB, when your file is only 1.3GB (or 770k after intermediate conversion)?

Good point, but nothing I have will read the .ts file so I have little choice but to use Handbrake to convert it to mp4 (the only HB output format) and with the highest bit rate possible. The final DVD data size is something I can't explain. But isn't that because Freeview data is mpeg2 while standard DVD video is something like mjpeg? I am not making a blueray DVD which should be mpeg2.

So install the ffmpeg package on the T2 and you can convert it on there to a .mpg (automatically if you so desire).

Good point! I did install that module at the beginning.

The mpeg2 file is 1.0GB. The .ts was 1.3GB.

That kind of makes sense, as mp4 is a bit more efficient (for a given quality level) than mpeg2.

I will try opening the mpeg2 file with Vegas when it has finished rendering the DVD :)

Actually most DVD players will also play the .mp4 file sitting on a CD or DVD...
One has to be very careful making statements like that. By "most" I take it you mean "more than 50% of the entire range of models of DVD player currently in use", and actually you probably don't have any data to support that assertion. "Many" is acceptable instead of "most", because it sets no bar against which to test the data. I might quibble if "many" turned out to be "three" though.

Most blueray DVD players currently in the shops in the UK will play video files on CDs or DVDs, to varying degrees. Plus sound files, mp3 etc.

It's like getting the T2 to play video files - it plays a few formats.

So yeah I agree with you - it will always be easy to find some combination that doesn't work. I recall talking to Humax's tech support about supporting MTS files from my Canon G10 movie camera. MTS is a really common format for prosumer flash memory cameras. The guy was quite helpful but he said they make a decision to support a few formats and that's it. With it being a unix box and with so much being open source (when you buy a Chinese wifi router you think some bloke in China wrote the code?) they could have supported "everything" but presumably there is a policy decision there...

I have just done the mpeg conversion route and - superficially at least - the result looks the same as before. The end DVD is almost the same size - over 4GB. I actually cut out the adverts this time, in Vegas, and got it down to 3.3GB. I don't know why a 1GB mpeg2 grows to about 4GB when making a video (not blueray) DVD but I am sure there is a very simple answer. The mpeg was 704x576x25fps and the video DVD is 720x576x50i.

The other thing I noticed, and this is presumably a Humax improvement, is that the box plays the files on the network drive much better. The previous firmware would only display some directories. Now I can see them all.

Most blueray DVD players currently in the shops in the UK will play video files on CDs or DVDs, to varying degrees. Plus sound files, mp3 etc.
You've done a survey, huh? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying you are not in possession of the data.

The other thing I noticed, and this is presumably a Humax improvement, is that the box plays the files on the network drive much better. The previous firmware would only display some directories. Now I can see them all.
That's interesting.

I did a survey at a couple of big UK shops about 2-3 years ago. I tried different CDs and DVDs in the various machines they had on display. I don't have the data now. I recall Sony were the worst for playing "nonstandard" stuff, and some no-name chinese products were the best. That was as expected, given Sony's ownership of much of the media business and non-support for presumably pirated material, and given the well known fact that no-name products tend to be based on open source code which can include support for as much stuff as the developer is willing to collect up and throw in.

...The end DVD is almost the same size - over 4GB. I actually cut out the adverts this time, in Vegas, and got it down to 3.3GB. I don't know why a 1GB mpeg2 grows to about 4GB when making a video (not blueray) DVD but I am sure there is a very simple answer. The mpeg was 704x576x25fps and the video DVD is 720x576x50i...
It's the GOP (group of pictures) length. For DVD, with a fixed available bandwidth, the GOP can be set low. That is, frequent key (full) frames. The DVB-T spec allows for much longer GOPs, ie. many fewer key frames. This reduces the bandwidth requirements and thus the recorded file size.
The DVD authoring software automatically inserts key frames at the DVD spec frequency, hence the larger file size.
(edit: though as alluded to earlier, many consumer DVD players may cope with the looser GOP lengths used on DVB-T.)

Back