Some CFW functions not working properly....

aber1

I've got a few problems with the CFW loaded to the newly acquired HDR Fox T2 box and would appreciate some advice on how to track them down please. Loaded is 1.02.32/2.16 and webif is 1.0.3. BTW running the 'general' diagnostic shows all as Pass/OK. Box performs all recording and playback OK, including the native media server function to HD Fox, and using Foxlink - great!

Problems are:-
  • webif EPG settings does not retain the chosen 'Default now/Next style' as : 'Grid'. I see the 'EPG type updated' message, but on display of EPG it is the Now/Next format. Returning to the settings screen it has reverted to 'Standard'. 'Switch to grid-style Now/Next' button works - i.e. grid-style is displayed, but next EPG selection gives Now/Next format.
  • Remote Scheduling RS 1.0.1: On selecting the 'Total/Used/Usage' icon, I get the message 'Your Humax has not yet successfully uploaded a list of recordings'. The box has been 'seen' many times over the internet. What is the problem here / how to I 'push' a list from the HDR ?
  • I 'enabled decryption' on a selected directory, moved some recordings there to be decrypted, but it took several days before they displayed as 'Dec'. What are the rules for running the 'decrypting function' please?
  • It came to my attention that the box was in standby and running 'on' and the disk busy every morning - with *no* scheduled recordings to take place. At first I thought it might be something to do with the 'disable DSO and OTA' functions installed and as a test, I removed them, to see if they were the cause. No, box still running every morning. I don't know when it goes 'on' as it were, but not even the 'auto-power-off' facility seems to work. This to me is quite a problem, as I really don't want it to be on every day unnecessarily !!
Any help tracking down the problems would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

I can't comment in the other issues but I have the same message on RS 1.0.1. I never used the previous version of RS as I have only installed It relatively recently. I've tried all the diagnostics I can find including diskpush but these have failed to resolve it.

webif EPG settings does not retain the chosen 'Default now/Next style' as : 'Grid'.

That setting seems to be working for me. Can you go to the web interface Diagnostics->Database Browser and then select the /mod/etc/webif.db file? You should see a line in there with epg_style in the first column. If so, what's in the second column?

Remote Scheduling RS 1.0.1: On selecting the 'Total/Used/Usage' icon, I get the message 'Your Humax has not yet successfully uploaded a list of recordings'.

This is something that happens overnight. The message is misleading as it is referring to the list of recordings already made, not those in the schedule. You can run the rs/diskpush diagnostic to force an upload. If that still doesn't fix it then there is something in the data which the server is failing to parse - this does happen occasionally. If so, give me the unique ID for your Humax box as reported in the settings screen on the RS server and I will investigate.

I 'enabled decryption' on a selected directory, moved some recordings there to be decrypted, but it took several days before they displayed as 'Dec'. What are the rules for running the 'decrypting function' please?

The next issue may be relevant. The files first need to be indexed by the built-in Humax media server (DLNA or content sharing server). Since you have moved the files in from elsewhere, they will not be initially indexed so a reboot will be required. This is different to enabling decryption on a series folder or recursively on the whole My Video tree where files are automatically indexed once they have finished recording.

Once in the index, files should be decrypted fairly promptly as long as the box is fully awake.

It came to my attention that the box was in standby and running 'on' and the disk busy every morning - with *no* scheduled recordings to take place.
That isn't normal but there are a couple of things which are known to cause it. It's usually referred to as being stuck in half-awake mode.

The first known cause is if you have sleep/wake timers which aren't paired. That should be obvious in the schedule.
The second is a corrupt recording on the disk. Sometimes the culprit can be found by enabling humaxtv debugging (run the debugtv diagnostic, reboot required) then watching the humaxtv.log file when you try and put it into standby.

If the box is going into standby with the remote control, then the first is most likely.

I can't comment in the other issues but I have the same message on RS 1.0.1. I never used the previous version of RS as I have only installed It relatively recently. I've tried all the diagnostics I can find including diskpush but these have failed to resolve it.
Please can you post the unique ID for your box too, and I'll look into it.

Can you try upgrading to rs 1.0.3 and running the rs/diskpush diagnostic again?

Apologies, been away for a while.

Thank you for the swift replies.

To answer you points quickly af123 :-
  • second column value for epg_style (nval) is zero (0)
  • running diskpush diagnostic fixed it. I now see the content listed
  • I only see ---Sleep --- in the schedule for Tue 01:45, being the auto. power-off setting. Should there be others?
Many thanks all.

The second column value needs to be 1 for grid style. Have you tried clearing your browser cache and then visiting the settings page again? Or perhaps try a different web browser.

Having only a ---Sleep--- entry in the schedule without a corresponding ---Wake--- will cause the half-awake symptoms you're experiencing.

The second column value needs to be 1 for grid style. Have you tried clearing your browser cache and then visiting the settings page again? Or perhaps try a different web browser.
I have been using the Custom Firmware for a few weeks now, and I have a few issues with the settings including changing of 'EPG Settings':

1) change the 'Now/Next' to grid, also says 'updated' but stays a value of zero in the db
2) change the 'Channel Group' to Favourite 1 says : Invalid group for channel group
3) change the 'EPG hours' to any value says : Invalid value for xepghours.

Hope it was OK adding this into this current thread on EPG settings as it confirms 'aber1' report, and also issues with other settings in that group.

I have worked in IT for 25 years, and latterly nearly 8 years in web development/unix/oracle/perl/php/MySQL etc. Had to finish work early due to a back back (degenerated pro-lapsed disks), and seeing what you have achieved with the custom firmware is great, and keeping my mind occupied whilst lying in bed. I look forware every day logging into the wiki and forums and seeing what has happened in the last 24 hours.

hope the above comments on 'EPG settings' are sufficient.

OK, many thanks af123.

I switched to using IE10 away from Chrome for webif access (only), after tiring of the sporadic incorrect formatting of the webif screens in Chrome. When I reused Chrome even with the formatting problems, the value was set to 1 in the DB and the Grid-style EPG is now displaying OK. So I assume it was the IE cache not being cleared.

I deleted the --Sleep-- entry in the HDR's schedule via the webif and then did a reboot via webif. You may like to know that it did not reboot back 'on' as it were by this method - which is the only time I have seen it not rebooting to 'on', either on the HD box or the HDR. By way of a test, I set the power-off timer on the HD box to an imminent value and turned it off via the remote. Sure enough, on came the HD box - with an entry in the schedule 'saying power-off' ? This I find rather odd. If you say it needs to be paired with a 'Wake' entry, what should this be and what is the best way of implementing it?

I find it strange that the setting of the 'power-off timer', in case one omits to turn-off the box, should bring it on. Also it appears that the 'auto. power-off' setting (if idle for 3 hours I believe) is not being actioned.

Furthermore, I have access to another HDR box where the CFW is *not* installed. The 'power-off timer' is set to 01:45 and the 'auto. power off if idle' is set. It is never in a 'half-awake' / 'standby' / 'disk busy' condition in the morning.

This all seems a bit strange so I would appreciate your comments if possible.

Thanks again for your help.

I use IE10, as also don't like chrome formatting; as a developer I also cross check all my own pages in IE/Chrome/firefox, and prefer IE10. I always use 'every visit to the page' for IE caching.

But tried all the EPG settings with Chrome and they all save OK. I use IE10, and will have to remember to use chrome in these instances

Back