Some questions about my new HDR-Fox-T2

Michael Freeman

Hi,

My first post here. Merry Christmas !

I managed to install the custom firmware. Very impressive so thanks for that.

I have a few questions.

1. The "restore schedule on retune" feature. Does that happen automatically ?

2. Does the Humax have to be on to access the web front end ? I just set both power options to off to prevent the box going into stand by so I can access web front end and DLNA remotely. But I was kind of under the impressions that some features could be accessed with box in standby mode.

3. Is there any way to wake the box remotely from stand by ?

4. Why can't I register with the remote scheduling web service ?

Again thanks for the wonderful custom firmware. I don't feel like I'm using a box that was first released in 2012 !

Michael

Hi Michael. Welcome to the forums.:D
Short answers:-
1 Yes
2 Yes
3 No
4 ?? (Error messages etc.?)

Thanks ! For 3. I did not realise that registration occurs when installing the "rs" package, so that got answered.

A more interesting question. I now have my old PVR box. A Sagemcom. I once in a bored moment removed it's hard-drive and found I could access it through one of those external USB hard drive enclosures. The video files had a weird extension but I suspect them to be standard Freeview ".ts" files or whatever the format usually is. They were also named with random strings of numbers and letters if I remember correctly. If I connected the HD to the Humax would it be able to make sense of all the video files - ie. see the embedded program information and episode title ? I've already found "mvdisks".

Why the heck would you think that?
Why not? Things these days have wake on LAN features, but not the T2.
At least the OP has selected a good PVR as his 'new' one.

Something woken up by LAN access isn't in standby.

But, nit-picking aside, if the OP had read around the subject instead of diving in head first, he would have found all the info requested as well as detailed instructions how to do it - so installation and configuration would have been easy and not something you only "manage" to do.

Humbug.

Then what state is my computer in when I can WOL? It appears to be off, pretty much the same as the T2.
"Diving in head first" is a good way of getting your answers quickly. OP posted at 15:19 and got his answers by 16:02. I suspect it would have taken absolutely ages, if not days, to find the answers by reading all the reference material, if as a newbie you could find it, and relevant threads, if you can find said relevant threads. And how is a newbie expected to know that the answers to his questions are in things every section 18 (or whatever) or even know that things every even exists?
Chill a bit BH and cut the newbies a bit of slack instead of telling them to :RTFM: and alienating them PDQ. It's Christmas after all.
As we are nit picking the lovely mild Christmas eve, I didn't say it was.:p

A more interesting question. I now have my old PVR box. A Sagemcom. I once in a bored moment removed it's hard-drive and found I could access it through one of those external USB hard drive enclosures. The video files had a weird extension but I suspect them to be standard Freeview ".ts" files or whatever the format usually is.
It very much depends on whether the content is encrypted or not. The content is broadcast unencrypted but to use the Freeview EPG manufacturers must ensure the recorded content is encrypted. If the Sagecom used the Freeview EPG then I would suspect you won't be able to play anything; if it didn't then it would be worth experimenting.

It very much depends on whether the content is encrypted or not. The content is broadcast unencrypted but to use the Freeview EPG manufacturers must ensure the recorded content is encrypted. If the Sagecom used the Freeview EPG then I would suspect you won't be able to play anything; if it didn't then it would be worth experimenting.
It is possible that the Sagemcom PVR does not encrypt standard definition recordings, so they might be playable. The file extension would need to be changed to 'ts' to try this on the HDR-FOX.

2. Does the Humax have to be on to access the web front end ? I just set both power options to off to prevent the box going into stand by so I can access web front end and DLNA remotely. But I was kind of under the impressions that some features could be accessed with box in standby mode.

3. Is there any way to wake the box remotely from stand by ?
The Hymax has three normal states (and unfortunately a number or error states when it is hung or not responsive)
  1. Fully awake, everything working
  2. Half awake, machine is recording or about to record scheduled recording also if 'power off' selected while recording, no on TV display, no DLNA access, can access network (webif, Telenet) webif shows status as Standby
  3. Asleep, Full standby, no access form network, can only be woken by scheduled event or Power on.
So webif can be accessed in half-awake Standby by not Full standby

Back