Some questions...

mn283

Hi all,

Firstly thank you for the excellent work on the customised software !!!

I have it installed and have undelete and xtra portal packages installed. When I log in I have several packages saying updates are available, am I okay to click update all ? I ask as I am not aware of installing them all and presume they make up the customised firmware update.

If I install the auto unencrypt, is that all I need to do to be able to copy off the .ts file and view in a suitable player ?

When other packages are recommended i.e. am I missing any other cool improvements ? I can SSH and carry out basic Linux commands happily but I am no expert.

Cheers Mark

It is wise to click "Update package list from internet" first, but otherwise "Upgrade all packages" is fine. You might like to consider the auto-update package.

Regarding decryption, see Things Every... section 5, and follow the links within.

okay so, if I enable auto unencrypt and a encrypted hd file is recorded it should be dropped into the \media folder and I can copy it from there ?

No, you need to study the flow chart. Hi-Def files need the 'Auto unprotect' package, followed by DLNA name allocation, followed by download or decrypt. Note the Unecrypt (Auto) Package only runs over night so there are better options now

So if I use the 'Auto unprotect' package. Do I then have three options for decryption i.e. Unencrypt (auto) OPT+ decrypt (is this a manual process on the remote?) or a complete folder de-crypt OPT+ Auto-decrypt Folder ?

Sorry if I am missing the obvious !

okay I didn't follow the link through on the first one (should read it fully) I understand now, thanks all. I think manually decryption (method 3) with the auto-unprotect will suit me fine as I don't need to copy files off very often.

So if I use the 'Auto unprotect' package. Do I then have three options for decryption i.e. Unencrypt (auto) OPT+ decrypt (is this a manual process on the remote?) or a complete folder de-crypt OPT+ Auto-decrypt Folder ?

Sorry if I am missing the obvious !

I have edited my comments in #5 because the Unencrypt (auto) has been replaced by better options

Ezra, no problem little slow thinking this am. On another note, I saw google browser on the xtra portal, I know its only in beta, but how do you enter text ? I can only enter numbers using the remote.

very good ! its a shame Humax did allow for a keyboard to be connected via usb for naming folders etc....Considering the power of the unit it loaded quicker than the official portal.

It has been found that a wireless keyboard (via a USB dongle) is detected by the Humax BUT only single numbers from 0 to 9 are seen, so in other words it's not usable.
EDIT
I'm a bit surprised by af123's comment, I'll have to have another try

I'm sure I've managed to input text into portal applications using my wireless keyboard + USB dongle.. memory might be going though.

okay, sorry didn't mean to go over old ground. I presume they have done something at an OS level to prevent use of a full keyboard.

Not your fault, I'm talking about our "disagreement" about whether or not a USB keyboard works.

The bulk of the Humax operational code is specifically crafted, so it is not that they have removed anything - they just never built it in.

I wouldn't have thought operational code would of been the cause, I was thinking its part of the Linux OS. although are the packages you guys have created / installed on-top of the humax operational code ?

Back