Sony 4K TV

rg001c7345

Hi there

I'm awaiting delivery of a Sony 4K TV and have a couple of questions please....

1. Will I need to purchase a 4K HDMI lead to connect the Humax to it?
2. Will the picture be upscaled to 4K from my Humax with/without a 4K lead?

Apologies for my ignorance but I'm getting conflicting advice elsewhere but have confident that the right answer is on this forum! :)

Thanks in advance,

Rg.

You won't need a new cable to connect your Humax HDR fox T2 to your 4K TV because it won't be outputting any 4K content. Any upscaling to 4K will be done in the TV
BTW
It is very unlikely that you will require a new cable to carry any content to your 4K TV, with the possible exception of a very high end computer game, all other 4K content currently available does not use the very high data rates that the 4K standard is capable of

Last edited:
HDMI
High Definition Multimedia Interface - Unless you have a steam telly and are using the SCART interface, HDMI will be the type of connection you are using to send the video/sound to your TV (I still have a couple of tellies that don't even have SCART). In essence: SCART is an analogue interface, in other words the picture information is sent as continuous voltage levels; whereas HDMI is a digital interface and every single pixel on the screen is defined precisely by (typically) three bytes of data, 25 times a second. Add it up - that's a lot of data! SCART is okay for traditional 625-line pre-digital TV, but the analogue waveforms cannot keep up with the detail in HiDef video. The digital data in HDMI means that at each binary bit of every pixel, the transmission scheme only has to successfully communicate the difference between a "1" and a "0" - and even that is tricky at up to 340 million bits per second over a few metres of cheap cable. See also SCART, HDCP.​

Footnote regarding the HDMI cable rip-off: All too often (it has been reported) the TV showrooms try to sell you a "high quality" HDMI cable for anything up to £50 or more. This is utter rubbish and a £5 cable will do just as well... as long as it only has to be 6 feet long (1.8m). The problem starts when/if you want to send the signal further than that, and then quality really does matter. The maximum practical distance is 10m, for which you need a very high quality cable indeed.​

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/do-hdmi-cables-go-bad.6289/#post-82038

You won't need a new cable to connect your Humax HDR fox T2 to your 4K TV because it won't be outputting any 4K content. Any upscaling to 4K will be done in the TV
BTW
It is very unlikely that you will require a new cable to carry any content to your 4K TV, with the possible exception of a very high end computer game, all other 4K content currently available does not use the very high data rates that the 4K standard is capable of

Thanks - that's appreciated.

Back