Sony KDL-32W706B compatibility with HDR?

Owen Smith

I'm thinking of buying a Sony KDL-32W706B TV or the very similar model number with black surround. Finally 32" TVs have a bezel small enough I can fit one into my lounge, to replace my 26" HD Ready Sony. Why the Sony? Well it's Full HD unlike most of this year's 32" TVs, and as a previous Sony TV user I have spare remotes etc.

So does anyone know if there are HDMI problems between the HDR Fox T2 and this TV? Sony TVs are often cited as having problematic HDMI and it stopped working on my original trial YouView box after a firmware update (box now in loft as case, psu and hard disc spares for my HDR).

Can't answer your specific question but re the TV, consider this:

Panasonic Viera TX-32AS600B LED HD 1080p Smart TV from John Lewis. I recently bought the 42" version when on offer at this price and for the money I find it exceptional. The freetime is good and for me the i-player easier to get to than on the Fox. No handshaking problems. Set up is a doddle. I must say I am biased towards Pannys as I've experienced no problems with them over 40 years.

Panasonic TX-32AS500B is HD Ready only. I hadn't noticed the 600B and that it is Full HD.

Like your use of Panasonic for 40 years, I've had Sony TVs for 25 years and I like the way they do things so unless there is a known problem with the Sony I'll be going for that one.

If the HDMI doesn't sync I should be able to return the TV for a refund anyway. But I just hoped someone here already had the Sony.

Can't answer for your specific sony model. I have a KDL-40NX713 and a couple of older Sonys.
All work fine with Hummy via HDMI.
Only limitation seems to be the Hummy does not automatically switch to source when hummy turned on. This is not a problem to me as I leave the TV set to the Hummy source and use the Hummy as the main source of what I am watching. In this setup the TV always comes on on Hummy HDMI port and switches elsewhere only if I turn on some other source.

I'm thinking of buying a Sony KDL-32W706B TV or the very similar model number with black surround. Finally 32" TVs have a bezel small enough I can fit one into my lounge, to replace my 26" HD Ready Sony. Why the Sony? Well it's Full HD unlike most of this year's 32" TVs, and as a previous Sony TV user I have spare remotes etc.

So does anyone know if there are HDMI problems between the HDR Fox T2 and this TV? Sony TVs are often cited as having problematic HDMI and it stopped working on my original trial YouView box after a firmware update (box now in loft as case, psu and hard disc spares for my HDR).
I have the black version (KDL-32W705B). Its HDMI connection with my HDR-FOX T2s work fine and I have not had any hassle with them connecting. I am using HDR-FOX T2 software 1.03.12 and 1.02.20. I usually have over scan switched off and this can result in a very brief slim green vertical line down one side during the brief handshake procedure.
For best aspect ratio defaulting the Sony needs to be set to 'full' instead of 'normal' for the HDR-FOX T2's HDMI input. The HDR-FOX T2 wide button can be set up in TV mode to select the TV's aspect ratio directly when you do want to override the default.

Great, thanks! My exsting Sony KDL-26E4000 already needs to be set to Full and I also have overscan turned off, so I'm used to all that.

I'll probably get the black model, it's just that all the reviews I've seen have been of the silver model for some reason.

Time of a trip to John Lewis I think.

Back