Sound becomes distorted about once every 24hrs

bozeman1941

Ever since I've had it, the sound on my PVR has occasionally become distorted; it sounds like a massive pre-echo with a jarring distortion, and can only be fixed by restarting the PVR. It does it whether watching broadcasts, or recordings off the hard disk. If it occurs whilst watching a recording, upon stopping the recording, the distortion is still there on the off-air broadcast too. Recently though, it has started doing it every 24 hours, usually between 8 and 9 in the evening (don't know if that's relevant!). It's driving me nuts, and I can't find any mention of anything similar in the forums. Any ideas, anyone?

I have not heard of anything like this before.

There is nothing in your above description to be sure whether the problem is with the HDR-FOX or the TV (or sound system, if you are not using the TV for audio reproduction). When it happens again, try rebooting the TV.

Sorry! It's not the TV; it only happens when watching the HDR-FOX T2 via HDMI (I also have a Foxsat HDR as well, and it doesn't happen with that, or my blu-ray player, or using the TV's own tuner.)

That still does not eliminate the TV entirely. Finding the problem will involve a careful process of elimination, so let's start at the observed problem (ie the audio reproduction) and work back systematically. Yes, I know it's a bore, but the key to fault-finding is a methodical approach.

When it happens, move the TV input to a different HDMI port. If the problem goes away, it's either the TV itself or something that is cured in the HDR-FOX by causing the HDMI interface to re-sync. Rebooting the TV might have the same effect.

If the problem doesn't go away, the TV is still not eliminated from the equation - we just have more data!

Are you watching StDef or HiDef services? Do you have HDR audio preferences set to stereo or multi-channel audio? Does it happen with radio services? Is the problem still there if you use the analogue outputs?

I only ever really watch HD material, so I can't say I've noticed if it happens with SD stuff. I never use radio either, and the audio out is only connected via HDMI, so I don't know about analogue either. I think the sound settings on both TV and PVR are set to multi-channel, but if/when the fault happens again, I'll try switching both to Stereo and see if it makes any difference.

Back