sound breakup on HD

dave porter

Hi Everyone I am new to this amazing forum.
I have a problem with my HDR-FOX T2 sound breaking up intermittently only on HD channels.
Software version is FHTCP.1.02.33.
TV is a Sony Bravia which I have updated to the latest software version.
The tv is connected to a Bose Solo speaker using the optical connection and this make the problem worse, I have also updated the Solo to the latest software version.
I have also contacted at800 and there are no 4g masts in my area.
Any more suggestions or help would be appreciated.
Regards
Dave

Hi dave, when you say the sound is breaking up, is it distorted or missing, e.g. sound with 'silent' gaps? Is your Humax a recent purchase, as the Software Version you quote is not listed on the Humax site, the latest version on the site is 1.02.32 although some units are now being shipped with 1.03.06. I'm guessing the sound is connected to your TV via HDMI cable, you could temporarily try seeing if the audio output from the Humax Phono sockets (Audio L + R) are also breaking up

You could also try turning down the volume output from the Humax and turning up the Volume on your TV, I have my Humax set to 15 (Max = 20) as certain programmes have distorted sound otherwise

I don't know if your TV has a built in HD tuner as you don't list the model number. If it has, you can isolate the Humax out of the equation by tuning into an HD channel ON YOUR TV (not via the Humax), and see if the problem is or is not still apparent.

I too have a Bosé Solo speaker unit connected via the optical port on my Samsung TV and don't have any sound drop out issues on HD or SD channels for that matter.

Hi Ezra and Wallace
I think I have found a solution, today I was looking through the TV's menu's and found advanced settings for the optical output, it was set to auto so I changed it to PCM I don't know what it is but it has cured the problem.
Ezra you said turn the volume down on the Humax, I am unable to adjust the sound on HD channels my previous Humax (freesat T2) was the same so I assumed it was normal. Also I am unable to watch TV unless the Humax is on
Regarding the software I tried an auto update but there were none available, I believe you can download them from the Humax website but I am unable to access them there are just no entry signs, or I get connected to you tube I did enter my email and I got a message saying it was saved.
thank you both for your help.Regards
Dave

Over-the-air updates are only available at specific scheduled broadcast times. I think you meant your firmware version is 1.02.32 (not .33), and this is the most recent anyway. For more information about the firmware update process see Things Every... (click) section 1, and links to downloadable firmware for update by USB are available on the Wiki HERE (click).

The reference to turning down the Humax volume and up on the TV is because both the Humax volume control and the TV volume control will have an effect on the output volume level, and there might be something in the digital audio chain that is clipping the data.

I am unable to adjust the sound on HD channels my previous Humax (freesat T2) was the same so I assumed it was normal.
The sound level at the Humax SP-DIF optical ouput is as you say fixed and is not affected by the Humax 0 - 20 volume control, however the audio carried over the HDMI Video / Audio cable connected between the Humax and a TV is affected by the Humax 0 - 20 volume control for both Hi-Def and standard def. programmes. The SP-DIF optical cable is not requires to supply sound to a TV with HDMI inputs

The SP-DIF link on the TV, or at least on all the televisions we have, is used for sound OUTPUT from the TV only, not an input.

The sound level at the Humax SP-DIF optical ouput is as you say fixed and is not affected by the Humax 0 - 20 volume control, however the audio carried over the HDMI Video / Audio cable connected between the Humax and a TV is affected by the Humax 0 - 20 volume control for both Hi-Def and standard def. programmes. The SP-DIF optical cable is not requires to supply sound to a TV with HDMI inputs

I think you will find that, if the Humax is set to multi-channel sound rather than stereo, then the volume control will only affect StdDef transmissions.
In the case of HiDef this applies to the sound for both optical AND HDMI. I think it is fixed for optical regardless.

Can't remember exact Humax menu options but its something like Settings>Audio...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think you will find that, if the Humax is set to multi-channel sound rather than stereo, then the volume control will only affect StdDef transmissions.
In the case of HiDef this applies to the sound for both optical AND HDMI. I think it is fixed for optical regardless.
Not this one again!:rolleyes:
The scenario that you describe May well be the case with some TV's, but not all. I will agree with you about the optical output being fixed though.

I think you will find that, if the Humax is set to multi-channel sound rather than stereo, then the volume control will only affect StdDef transmissions. In the case of HiDef this applies to the sound for both optical AND HDMI.
I can't explain why Hi-Def sound can't be controlled via the HDMI cable, but it defiantly works for me on SD and Hi-Def. with the following setup :-

HDMI connected from Humax to TV
SP-DIF not connected from Humax to TV
Humax is set to multi-channel
TV = Samsung LE46A786

I can't explain why Hi-Def sound can't be controlled via the HDMI cable, but it defiantly works for me on SD and Hi-Def.

Some TVs HDMI port supports 5.1 multi-channel audio input while others don't. The capability is established during the initial HDMI handshake. The Humax will output PCM audio regardless of the settings if the TV doesn't support 5.1 audio and the volume button will work just find in that case. If the TV supports multi-channel audio via the HDMI input AND the Humax is set to output multi-channel audio, then the volume (of multi-channel audio) is not controllable via the Humax remote. This is also the reason why Humax -> TV -> Amp will not give proper surround sound if the TV does not support 5.1 pass through.

Not this one again!:rolleyes:
The scenario that you describe May well be the case with some TV's, but not all. I will agree with you about the optical output being fixed though.

The author states that he has a Sony Bravia, as do I.
If you set the humax to system>preferences>audio=multi-channel then the HiDef channel volume cannot be adjusted on the Humax.
The can be set to output via "TV Speakers" or via "Audio System" (using Audio>Speaker setting).
In the former case TV handles volume. In latter the Audio System needs to handle volume.

The TV's incoming audio is passed out through its optical output. This will be stereo only if audio set for "TV Speakers" but full digital signal if "Audio System" selected.

My set is Sony KDL-40NX710,
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Some TVs HDMI port supports 5.1 multi-channel audio input while others don't. The capability is established during the initial HDMI handshake. The Humax will output PCM audio regardless of the settings if the TV doesn't support 5.1 audio and the volume button will work just find in that case. If the TV supports multi-channel audio via the HDMI input AND the Humax is set to output multi-channel audio, then the volume (of multi-channel audio) is not controllable via the Humax remote. This is also the reason why Humax -> TV -> Amp will not give proper surround sound if the TV does not support 5.1 pass through.
AFAIK this is the first logical explanation of this phenomenon to be posted. Thanks.

The author states that he has a Sony Bravia, as do I.
If you set the humax to system>preferences>audio=multi-channel then the HiDef channel volume cannot be adjusted on the Humax.
As has been pointed out, this is a problem with the TV NOT the Humax, which a capable of adjusting the volume via the HDMI cable

Some TVs HDMI port supports 5.1 multi-channel audio input while others don't. The capability is established during the initial HDMI handshake. The Humax will output PCM audio regardless of the settings if the TV doesn't support 5.1 audio and the volume button will work just find in that case. If the TV supports multi-channel audio via the HDMI input AND the Humax is set to output multi-channel audio, then the volume (of multi-channel audio) is not controllable via the Humax remote..
Ezra I think that is the crucial bit. It seems that our TV's mine+yours do not take 5.1 sound over hdmi and that is why we can adjust the sound vie the hummy remote even if hummy is set to multichannel, which suits me just fine. If I want surround I just turn on my system which is fed by spdif optical.

I think you're correct, the user manual for my TV states that if DD5.1 sound is required to route it from it's source directly to a AV Amp, not via the TV. I always assumed that DD5.1 was sent to the TV and converted to stereo before being sent to the TV's SP-DIF's output, but it now looks like the TV effectively requests that the Humax send it stereo to start with

Hi Everyone my sound problem(s) are all solved now thanks you all.
the only problem I have now is that I am unable to watch tv unless the Humax is on which isn't a problem to me but my wife doesn't understand the Humax, I have changed the coax patch lead from another tv that works ok so I don't think that is the problem. My tv is a bravia KDL40BX400 any ideas please
thanks again for all help so far.
Regards.....Dave

My Samsung TV sends 5.1 surround from its built in T2 tuner, to the optical out, but only sends stereo from items connected to its HDMI inputs. This suits me, as I use my Humax optical outputs to connect to my AV receiver.

Hi Everyone my sound problem(s) are all solved now thanks you all.
the only problem I have now is that I am unable to watch tv unless the Humax is on which isn't a problem to me but my wife doesn't understand the Humax,
In power management choose power saving: off

Back