Sound failed on HDR-2000T (500GB)

daddybear

Box has been working normally until this afternoon when sound has failed on both live transmission and recorded programmes.

Earlier today I watched recordings of two Rugby World Cup matches with no problem but then when came to watch third one (also recorded yesterday) there was no sound. Sound remains off no matter what I do.

I have a Panasonic Audio System SC-HTE80 which is set for all sources - Terrestrial/Sky/Humax and the Sky and Terrestrial TV still work perfectly on sound. When switching the Panasonic off and reverting to 'TV Speakers only' the same situation exists with the Humax still silent.

Have checked all the troubleshooting suggestions in the manual and all is complied with there.

Unit was bought mid-July this year.

Anybody got any ideas ?

Regards

Roy

sound has failed on both live transmission and recorded programmes.
There is a known HDMI bug that has een occuring since 2013 with differing frequency for different people. If this is also the cause of your sound loss then turning the HDR-2000T off will reset the sound. Buy off I mean in full standby with power saving, no recordings occurring and no recordings due to start in the next 40 minutes. If you don't have power saving in standby then switching the HD-2000T off at the plug works but best done when it is not recording and is in standby!
To avoid the bug you could look into obtaining the sound from the HDR-2000T's phono or optical sockets instead of using the HDMI sound.

There is a known HDMI bug that has een occuring since 2013 with differing frequency for different people. If this is also the cause of your sound loss then turning the HDR-2000T off will reset the sound. Buy off I mean in full standby with power saving, no recordings occurring and no recordings due to start in the next 40 minutes. If you don't have power saving in standby then switching the HD-2000T off at the plug works but best done when it is not recording and is in standby!
To avoid the bug you could look into obtaining the sound from the HDR-2000T's phono or optical sockets instead of using the HDMI sound.

Good Morning

Thanks to both for your replies.

Sound has reappeared but I don't know why !! There was a message showing on the front of the Panasonic sound box of something like " PS1 off" so I switched the box off to remove this. Then I switched it on again and scrolled through the Input options on the Panasonic sound box ie. TV>BD/DVD>AUX>BLUETOOTH at which point a message flashed up on the front again saying " Pairing" - this continued to flash until I moved the Input on to TV. The sound then worked again from the Humax !!

I follow your instructions about resetting, but don't think I can use 'analogue phono outputs' or ' phono sockets' as I have a DVD player connected to the TV with these and there is only one set of sockets on the TV - optical socket also in use as below:-

My Sky and Humax are connected to the TV with HDMI cables and then the TV is connected to the Panasonic box with an optical cable (apparently I can't use HDMI for it because my TV is not ARC (?) enabled.

Incidentally, the Mute button on the Humax Remote does control the sound but the Remotes for TV, Sky and DVD don't - I have to use the Panasonic's own little Remote. Any idea why that would be ?

You will realise from my reply that I am quite a 'dummy' when it comes to this sort of thing, so please be kind and patient with me in any replies !!

Best regards

Roy

The mute button on the Humax handset controls the mute function on the Humax (which toggles it's sound output off and on, and generates a "muted" icon in the video stream for on-screen presentation). The TV handset should control the TV's mute function, the other handsets should each control their own devices unless you have programmed the handset to control the TV as well.

Last edited:
I have my TV Audio output set to 'external speakers' in order to use the Panasonic soundbox . This is supposed to automatically override the audio function buttons (volume and mute) on the relevant handsets which is then taken over for all by the handset for the soundbox.

This holds good for external equipment TV/Sky/DVD/Humax, but the handset for the Humax also controls it's audio functions and this is what I can't understand. In reality it doesn't matter, but I'm just curious as to why this handset differs from the others.

Regards

Roy

The Humax remote switches off the sound output from the Humax box. You can't override this. If you mute the Hummy, you will get no sound output from anywhere regardless of what the others are doing.

As I said, and Trev reiterated, the mute and volume buttons on the Humax handset control the Humax. Whatever other controls may be operating, they can't override the function of the signal source (ie the Humax).

You may find that the Humax handset volume controls don't appear to do anything, if you have the audio preferences set for "multichannel" on the digital output (ie HDMI or optical). If you set this to "stereo", the handset volume controls will affect the output signal before any other equipment. The reason is that with "multichannel", the sound stream is sent at full amplitude along with volume commands to the audio decoder/amp. If you wish to prevent the Humax handset affecting the volume, set for "multichannel" (this might only work for HiDef broadcasts with surround sound).

don't think I can use 'analogue phono outputs' or ' phono sockets' as I have a DVD player connected to the TV with these and there is only one set of sockets on the TV - optical socket also in use as below:-
The 'analogue phono outputs' referred to are on your HDR-2000T not your TV

But if there are no free inputs on the TV that's irrelevant. Also, it would be unusual to be able to take the video from one source and the audio from another.

I don't know this Panasonic "box" but I assume it is a sound bar or home theatre amp. If it's an amp, I believe it is usual to take all the sources through that, with the amp then passing the video on to the telly.

Either way, it sounds to me like the OP needs to invest in a programmable remote control handset able to manage the multiple items of equipment in the appropriate way.

Thanks to all for your excellent help.

Everything is back to working as before, so fingers crossed that it continues.

Regards

Roy

Back