Sound issue

waterman4

I've just bought a new Samsung tv which I'm using with my 2000T. I'm finding that when I turn off the tv to go out or whatever, when i turn it back on again there's no sound. I'm assuming it's something to do with the tv as it never happened with my old tv.

Just wondered if anyone would know why this is.

You don't say what you do with the 2000T, i.e. do you place it in standby when you turn off your TV? What do you have to do to get the sound back?

I just turned the tv off and left the freeview box on. when I turned the tv back on again, the sound wasn't working. I tried turning the tv and freeview box off and then back on and the sound returned.

If you have multi-channel audio set in the preferences for the 2000T, try changing that to stereo. It might not help, but worth a try.

You could also try connecting with a SCART lead rather than HDMI, in case it's a similar HDMI handshake problem to the one from which mine seems to suffer.

I just turned the tv off and left the freeview box on. when I turned the tv back on again, the sound wasn't working. I tried turning the tv and freeview box off and then back on and the sound returned.
Why don't you place the Humax in standby when you turn the TV off?, it will still record from standby. The only reason I can think of is the 2000T doesn't feed through the TV aerial while in standby, so the TV out socket would not supply a signal to anything else

I've actually found that I have the same issue when i switch source as well. Sometimes, when I switch to hdmi 2 to use the Chromecast for a while and then switch back to hdmi 1, the sound disappears. Very strange.

I bought a 2000t last week, have a Samsung TV and am having the exact same problem of disappearing sound when I turn off the TV and then switch it back on - it doesn't seem to make a difference whether the Humax is put into standby or not.

Have any of you checked if it's a samsung bug? There maybe new firmware for your tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My issue with the sound seemed to sort itself out after a week or so. I tried turning on the tv first and then the freeview box and haven't had any issues since. I'm not sure if turning on the tv first has had any effect or not or whether it's just coincidence that issue is fixed.

It could - the HDMI link has a negotiation phase before the real data transmission starts, so it might be relevant what state each end is in before polling starts. In a well-designed system it wouldn't matter, but manufacturers can't be blamed for not having tested every possible scenario with every possible combination of HDMI source and destination, and the HDMI specification itself is too open to interpretation.

I find without exception that the order in which I switch the TV and Humax on matters, so it is clearly not coincidence. It is, however, annoying!

Just bought a 2000t and noticed this sound (lack of) problem, I was about to return the unit as faulty after trying various HDMI lead plug in configurations Etc , but after reading this realised it was a bug. Is there any update on this problem since the last post? has any cure been found?

Hi. Well I am still having the same problem despite installing the latest software update. The problem being:

If I switch my TV off but leave the 2000t on, when I come to switch the tv back on - I have no sound from the 2000t - only a picture.
Once I have the TV on - if I switch the 2000t into standby and then switch it back on again the sound doesn't reappear - only a picture.

The only time the sound comes back on is:

If I disconnect and reconnect the power and turn on the machine - at which point I get the 'Humax' front screen - I then get sound and picture.
If I switch on the 2000t from standby and the machine has been in standby for some time (a day say..) - then I get sound and picture - but even this is intermittent I think? Does the machine go into a deep sleep after a certain period of time which then triggers something to enable sound once the unit is switched on again?

I use the 2000t in HDMI1 but have tried it in HDMI2 with the same results.
My TV is a Samsung UE42F5000.
I am using the HDMI cable that came with the 2000t - would it make a difference if I changed this?

I am using the HDMI cable that came with the 2000t - would it make a difference if I changed this?
Extremely unlikely. It's a digital signal and is either there or not. If it's there sometimes but not others, it's likely the HDMI handshaking. You could try it for peace of mind if you have a spare, but if not, borrow one rather than buying a new one as it is unlikely to make a difference. Or buy one and take it back when it makes no difference. ;=) (But don't buy an expensive one. They are no better than cheap ones)

Does the machine go into a deep sleep after a certain period of time which then triggers something to enable sound once the unit is switched on again?
Some differnet HDR-2000T modes:
(1) Totally off: Disconnected from mains electricty supply

(2) Deep stand by: Power saving standby mode

(3) Light stand by: Non-power saving standby mode

(4) Active standby: Standby with
. AR recording due to start in the next 18 minutes
OR
. placed in stand-by when there was a recording due to happen within the next 40 minutes
OR
. recording(s) in progress

(5) Switched on

With modes (3), (4) and (5) my Sony TV (which has no HDMI sound issues) can spot that something is active on the HDMI port.
With modes (4) and (5) the USB ports are powered.

I've just bought a new Samsung tv which I'm using with my 2000T. I'm finding that when I turn off the tv to go out or whatever, when i turn it back on again there's no sound. I'm assuming it's something to do with the tv as it never happened with my old tv.

Just wondered if anyone would know why this is.
New software that appears to correct this is now available for both the HDR-1800T and the HDR-2000T.
See https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/mystery-software-upgrade#post-64819

Hopefully the scheduled OTA will be changed from 1.01.18 to 1.01.20 and hopefully it will also be available via internet for those boxes with internet connection and won't take another 4 years.

Back