Sound level issue

James B

Has anyone else had a problem with different sound levels?

I seem to experience it more on BBC3. Sound seems to dip and then pick up.

Quite hard to explain really!

I've noticed that using VLC for decrypted HD content on the PC, some but not all HD ts streams playback stereo with sound levels that constantly ramp up and down - so annoying. Pan Am, a new Belgium HD programme all do it, but some other HD content doesn't. Not sure if it's a VLC issue as I'm sure the Humax plays them back fine (using TV sound).

its not fixed on mine

as far as i know it was fixed in an update but then they unfixed in the update after that

im on the latest update+ custom firmware

I noticed the difference in sound volume on the HD channels also, I changed the setting in the Menu - Preferences - Audio for the Digital Audio Output from Multi-Channel to Stereo and it's the same as all the other channels now, I wanted the best audio output but tbh it's fine like that for me.

I noticed the difference in sound volume on the HD channels also, I changed the setting in the Menu - Preferences - Audio for the Digital Audio Output from Multi-Channel to Stereo and it's the same as all the other channels now, I wanted the best audio output but tbh it's fine like that for me.

hopefully there will be an update to some day that will solve it (like before), until then we'll just keep changing the volume

Not sure what you are coping with, but in one of the modes the HiDef volume is fixed at max and the StDef volume is adjustable using the Humax remote. There is the possibility you have the StDef volume set low while the HiDef volume is set to max, causing your problem. Or I might be completely wrong.

hopefully there will be an update to some day that will solve it (like before), until then we'll just keep changing the volume
If I remember this from last time the Multichannel / Stereo output volume thing is not possible to resolve - I can't promise a massively technical explanation so please bear with me but I think it goes along the lines of Stereo allows a volume change because the left/right channels are somehow seperate enough in the signal to allow the Humax to up or down them itself. However the Multichannel audio is too deeply embedded within the overall stream (picture and audio) so there's no way to tweak it up or down on it's own. I think at the time we had to assume that an external amp was expected (by Humax) if you wanted to make use of the full HD 5.1 multichannel audio so they took the route of just pumping out the audio at a fixed level and leave the volume control to the amp (or TV I guess?).

I found these threads that might prove interesting to those enquiring (and probably have better explanations than my summary!)

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/hd-volume.416/
http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/possible-solution-to-percieved-audio-problem.143/

All Dolby-E broadcast surround audio should include an ideal listening level in the stream in the form of a dial-norm setting, which is basically an average loudness level not peak level. From this surround amps should take note of that setting and set things to an ideal starting point. It's set by broadcasters to hopefully get things off to a good start at home without too much fiddling.

I had the same issue with my box when i had it wired up to the tv, using hdmi, and then i wired the speakers up to the tv.

I then just had the tv on hdmi and plugged the speakers into the back of the humax with the red and white composite ports (using an adapter), the box seems to send out the sound through hdmi and composite at the same time :)

I am no longer experiencing the issue, not sure if you are in a similar setup but this is just my experience.

Back