Space allocation when a timer is set

Jason_a69

Just a question that someone can help me with.

When I schedule a recording, is the space pre-allocated for that recording or is it done when the recording takes place?

Just want to know if I will fill the machine up if I schedule loads of good stuff over the Xmas period.

Merry Xmas everyone!

Jason

When I schedule a recording, is the space pre-allocated for that recording or is it done when the recording takes place?

Just want to know if I will fill the machine up if I schedule loads of good stuff over the Xmas period.
As far as I know the space isn't allocated until the recording is made. There is a capability to Automatically delete the oldest recordings if space is getting tight; the release notes say:

Auto Delete function - oldest files will be removed; Lock files so they are not Auto Deleted.
- Auto Delete is switched OFF as Default
- To enable Auto Delete go to Menu > Preferences > Recording > Auto Delete

As far as I know the space isn't allocated until the recording is made. There is a capability to Automatically delete the oldest recordings if space is getting tight; the release notes say:

Auto Delete function - oldest files will be removed; Lock files so they are not Auto Deleted.
- Auto Delete is switched OFF as Default
- To enable Auto Delete go to Menu > Preferences > Recording > Auto Delete
I, too, am getting close to a full hard drive.

Can anyone confirm the process in either scenario?

With Auto Delete off:-
  • Is there a warning that programmes will fail to record unless media is deleted?
  • How early is that warning: as soon as the recording is scheduled?
With Auto Delete on:-
  • Is there a warning dialogue before deletion?
  • How early is that warning: as soon as the 'replacement' recording is scheduled?
  • Is deletion purely decided by age: i.e. is there a 'watched' flag that will prioritise watched programmes for deletion?
On a minor point, do the shades of green in the Storage Indicator Circle (SIC) on the media list have any significance?
I know the white section indicates free space: what do the dark green and light green indicate?

The shades of green aren't significant. The graphic just uses a darker shade for the bottom half.

Sorry I can't help with the other query. I suspect that the Humax just marks the recording as failed due to insufficient space. It may put up a warning if you happen to be watching. There are people here that run with low disk space that may be able to comment.

With the CFW undelete extension which implements a recycle bin, automatically removing things after a few days, it has an adaptive algorithm which removes things earlier if disk space is getting tight.

As af123 has said the pie chart has light green in the upper half and dark green in the lower half, here are some of the icons they use :-

HDD-ind2.jpg

There is also a blue pie chart which is used for external USB drives and has a similar light/dark split.

Thanks for the replies re the shades of green.

I suspect Humax were going for a 3D effect, though the result is hardly subtle.

Back