Split Recordings (e.g. News bulletin between film on ch5)

GrahamS

I would rather record all of film as a single entity including the bulletin but can't find a way of doing this other than deleting the second part of film and then editing the first part end time.
Can anybody out there suggest a more elegant method of knitting the film parts together.
Regards.

GrahamS

Convert the recording schedule to a manual entry (any edit of the entry using Guide >> Schedule >> (select item) >> OK converts it to manual), and alter the end time to the end time of the film plus an allowance. It would be as well to add an allowance to the start also, because a manual entry has no AR, padding, or series linking capability.

Not a good answer BH.
The recording is already split, so have to delete 2nd part.
Manual, as suggested, is the same as editing as I described above.
Editing a schedule is no problem regarding end padding, however, if one adds padding to the front, the program title reverts to that which includes that padding and no way to alter this.

The programme title can be changed in the custom firmware WebIF. What's the problem about deleting the second part? (Actually, I imagined there would only be one schedule entry.)

BH.
I have no interest in anything other what's in the box as purchased. Why should I?
I expect max performance without having to resort to custom firmware.
Compromised initial design is always a problem, but should be rectified by updates, not custom firmware.

If you want, but you will be missing out. You can either put up with it and grumble forever, or take things under your own control.

If you are dead set against custom firmware, you might be better off on another forum because many (if not most) of the things you find to niggle about here will just get the answer "package xxx does something to help". That said, in another topic I have referred you to Things Every..., which explains how to avoid some of the annoyances even without CF.

Typical answer from you.
The vast majority of users want benign usability without having to resort to unwanted "messing about".
You present yourself as a tech guru (having read many of your posts on this forum), but I don't think you live in the real world.

Typical answer from you.
Where on earth did that come from? BH's reply seems perfectly reasonable to me - this forum does have a lot of happy customised firmware users but the link he provides talks about techniques to work around problems for those who don't want to take the plunge. In fact, if I recall correctly, BH didn't install the customised firmware for a long time after he joined.

I reiterate my most resent post. It would seem that the "gurus" are, indeed, of the "ivory tower" variety.

The Humax will try to automatically handle split events in this way. If you don't like that then the only option is the one you've already found, to delete the second part and extend the first.

I would rather record all of film as a single entity including the bulletin but can't find a way of doing this other than deleting the second part of film and then editing the first part end time.
There is no need to delete the second part. Just edit the single schedule entry's end time.
That way you will have your own personal custom designed timer.

To be sure that this technique works I have just tried it twice - once with padding off and once with padding on.

Yes it does. When I tried it with padding on I meant that I'd updated my preferencies for auto-padding via the preference menu and therefore AR was already off. I just wanted to make sure that whether or not auto-padding was used made any difference when editing in an overide to the freeview epg schedule.

In fact, if I recall correctly, BH didn't install the customised firmware for a long time after he joined.
Indeed, you can class me as a "late adopter" - wait and watch, and dive in when whatever it is has come off the bleeding edge.

I do not believe GrahamS fully understands the complexities of the Freeview datastream; I certainly don't. What may appear simple to us may become complicated when an attempt is made to enact it automatically given the data state flags sent out. And with complication comes side-effects.

The "simple" approach says every programme is a single entity with a start and stop event. Programmes can be linked, eg series. What GrahamS wants is for the Start event of one programme to be linked to the stop event of another. So what happens if the second programme is cancelled - breaking news causes a cancellation - and no Start/Stop is indicated? [Add your own solution ...]

So, make things simple; allow the User to define their own channel/timing parameters and follow those settings.

This may be especially wise given Channel 5s notoriety on the user of Series CRIDs.

GrahamS, if you know of a PVR that does what you want then that would be interesting. I shall have a go on my Tvonics but I expect the same outcome as with my HDR Fox.

Martin

Something id out of kilter on this thread.
The behaviour GrahamS wants is something that is not reflected in the Freeview epg. GrahamS wants something that would deviate from Freeview+ standard behaviour for what the broadcastsers supply in the epg but GrahamS wants it straight of a Freeview+ box.

This alone makes this thread interesting. What make this thread even more interesting is that when adjusting a split timer GrahamS has a second timer for the second part of the programme which he can delete.

So, make things simple; allow the User to define their own channel/timing parameters and follow those settings.
You have it: manual reservations. Just like an old-skool VCR, set the channel, date, start and stop times, and repetition. You can make this easier by starting with an EPG reservation and converting it to manual (any edit to an EPG reservation converts it to manual, with no padding, tracking, AR, or series linking).

Back