ssh and IP logging question

Ravi

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find the answer in the threads I found.

2 separate questions for you:

I have dropbear-ssh installed, but I'm struggling to find what password I need to use for root:

Code:
ssh root@ravhumax.local
root@ravhumax.local's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied (publickey,password).
ravi@RPC-UBUNTU1:~$

Code:
Editing /mod/etc/dropbear/passwd
root:x:0:0:root:/mod:/bin/sh

I'm not that clued up on linux password files. What is the default root password. Also - could or should I change it, or will it break the WebIf?

2nd question:

Is there a log file I can look at to see who is logging in via the WebIf and from what IP address? It would be useful, especially if I open the WebIf up to the internet on my router with port forwarding. Info on any other log files would also be appreciated.

thanks!

default password = humax, see link HERE, however it looks like this is suggesting the password for 'root' is 'root'

Code:

Code:
ravi@RPC-UBUNTU1:~$ ssh root@ravhumax.local
ravhumax#
ravhumax#
ravhumax#
ravhumax#
ravhumax# ls
bin                          lib                          monitor                      var
boot                        mediatomb                    sbin                        webif
dev                          mipsel-linux                share
etc                          mipsel-unknown-linux-uclibc  tmp
ravhumax#

Password was indeed humax - cheers!

default password = humax, see link HERE, however it looks like this is suggesting the password for 'root' is 'root'

Code:
The password field contains 'x' but this causes it to look up the password from /etc/shadow where it is stored in encrypted form.

Is it OK to change the password, or should it be left as it is? I'd like to change it but I don't want to screw anything else up!

Back