Standby Mains Switching.

Trev

The Dumb One
I have a TV, and Audio amp connected to same and a DVD player. At present, the DVD is left on permanent standby and the audio amp has no standby (it's a PC 2+1 jobbie) and is permanently powered up.
What I want to be able to do is arrange it so that the audio amp and DVD player switch off when the TV goes to standby. I do not want the TV supply to be switched off, that is to be left on S/B.
I have seen socket strips that switch off when the TV goes to S/B, but it seems that they also switch off the TV and rely on the TV's IR control to switch them back on. Not what I want.
The TV has USB sockets that are powered down when the TV goes to S/B and I know that you used to be able to get socket strips that could be switched by a USB 5V, but it seems that they have been discontinued.
I did have one of the jobbies that switched off the TV et. al. when you set it to S/B, but it was dead unreliable and switched itself off randomly, which was pretty annoying if you were watching something, so it got binned.
So, any ideas anyone please.

What you want is a master/slave socket strip like are sold for computers - turn off the PC and the other sockets turn off (and vice versa). I also have a three way block that does the same. I'll look out the details later.

(Sorry for the delay)

This is called a "Masterplug MSRGMS3". It has one master socket and two slaves, and plugs into a wall socket like a three-way adapter. When the current through the master socket exceeds some small threshold, the slave sockets turn on. It also claims to offer surge protection.

image.jpeg

Hey BH, that sound like exactly what I want. Had a quick look, but seems to be discontinued, but I'll look harder now I've a good idea what I need to look for.

I have a APC ES-700 UPS which I use to 'protect' my cable MODEM and AV equipment, plus another UPS upstairs 'protecting' my data equipment. I only mention this as this model has the 'master/slave' facility too.

I plug my desktop in the master socket and anything else I want powered down when the PC is off is plugged into the slave sockets.

These UPSs were not expensive, IMHO, at £65.

I'll have a look at those as well then W, thanks. It's quite a bit more than I was hoping to pay though as I'm not really interested in the UPS bit on my TV and it would take a long time to get an ROR from the saving of switching off my amp.

Are you competent with DIY electronics, Trev? It's not too difficult to make one (I could supply details).

I'll have a look at those as well then W, thanks. It's quite a bit more than I was hoping to pay though as I'm not really interested in the UPS bit on my TV and it would take a long time to get an ROR from the saving of switching off my amp.

Yeah. I just offered it as a suggestion. The power save facility is optional, so I have that disabled for the cable MODEM/TV/HDRs. I use the UPS to keep my cable MODEM powered so my Raspberry Pi can email me of the power failure so I can deal.

THIS is what I was looking for. I'll look for the one BH linked to as well though.
I want the TV to stay on s/b and the other stuff to go off. It seems that most of these just shut down everything unless I've been reading things wrong.

That's what happens. Plug your TV in the control socket, and the other devices you want to completely power off in the slave sockets. When you put you TV in standby, the slave sockets power off completely. The TV will remain in standby and when taken out of standby, will turn on the power to the slaves.

Their description is rather less than brilliant isn't it
The standby shutdown has 4 controlled sockets that may be used with printers, monitors, scanners etc. One 'always on' socket for equipment that requires continuous power.
Peeps interested in controlled switches are, I suspect, rather interested in HOW they are controlled rather than just they ARE controlled. Abysmal.

Yep. I applied some domain knowledge and attention to the photo. There's another one (same price) that says it's a standby controller, but appears to have an IR receiver.

"Appears to have"? This feature should have prome place in the technical description. You should not really have to scrutinise a photo to see if an item has a press switch or an IR receiver module.
It was the same wit my earlier quest, none of them states specifically that the 'master' socket stays live on that module as I have seen ones that kill the master socket as well and need 'reviving' with IR control, again implied rather than specifically stated. What's up with these guys?.

Back