Standby mode for web access

mcquam

I haven't been able to find a solution on here about how to keep the Humax active enough for web access to work. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

The Humax can't be accessed when it is in standby because only the remote control receiver and the display clock is turned on, the Humax must be awake or in a special half-awake mode before it is possible to log into it. the half-awake mode occurs when the box is waiting to record or when the box is looking for software updates (at 4:30am every morning), the Humax enters this mode automatically and normally the user can't place the box in this state, so the only mode to contact the Humax is the normal awake mode

Thanks for your help. I presume there is a setting on the Humax to switch off the standby mode when required.

I think you have some confusion.

OFF - mains power is off, either because the unit is not plugged in to the mains, or the switch is off at the wall, or the switch on the back at the unit is in the off position. There is no activity, the unit cannot record when scheduled.

STAND-BY - the unit is in its sleep state, there is no activity, a small timer processor monitors for an "on" signal from the remote control or pressing the power button on the front panel, or wakes the unit into a "half awake" state when a recording is due to occur.

ON - the state in which there is full activity and TV output.

"HALF AWAKE" - recording or preparing to record when the unit would otherwise be in stand-by. There is no TV output but the unit is otherwise active and able to service network communication with the WebIF.

The user has no control over the "half awake" state, except by scheduling a recording. There is a fault which can result in the half awake state, but this is not advisable.

The bottom line is: if you want to interact with the WebIF you need to turn the unit on. You can do this manually (by RC or physically pressing the front panel button), or by setting the ON/OFF timers in the settings menu (do not set an on without an off, or vice versa), or by scheduling a reminder. You can also set on/off times using the Remote Scheduler. If the unit is in stand-by there is nothing you can do (from the network) to cause it to wake up, you just have to wait until it is next scheduled to wake up (including half-awake).

All this is very obvious to old hands, but quite tricky to explain in writing.

Thanks for your help. I presume there is a setting on the Humax to switch off the standby mode when required.

If you want to use the Humax either turn it on manually or get it to automatically 'wake-up' using a repeating 'reminder' (Page 29 of the Manual - Scheduling Reminders and Recordings)

Two other things to mention that I haven't seen so far in this thread.

The box will automatically go into standby after 3 hours unless you turn that option off.

Depending on why you want to be able to access the Humax from work, you might find the Remote Scheduling Portal useful.

Depending on why you want to be able to access the Humax from work, you might find the Remote Scheduling Portal useful.
I think he meant "to function" when he said "to work". This is not the same as "from work" :)

Excellent summary, thanks.

I have followed your advice and set my system power-on and power-off timers for a 2 hour window every day. I realise the system will also be accessible from the LAN while it is recording. (I have installed disable-dso and disable-ota to stop those undesirable actions).

I noticed Power Saving in Standby is currently set ON (I guess it is the default) and read the notes in the manual. I set this option to OFF, meaning "do not save power", but LAN access is still not possible. Standby is Standby, no matter whether saving power or not. I guess linux has stopped running in this state.

I noticed Power Saving in Standby is currently set ON (I guess it is the default) and read the notes in the manual. I set this option to OFF, meaning "do not save power", but LAN access is still not possible. Standby is Standby, no matter whether saving power or not. I guess linux has stopped running in this state.

In standby only the Remote Control receiver and the display timer is running, the main board is not running. Turning Power save on/off affects the co-ax (aerial) feed through circuitry and the clock display only

Back