Stop Humax stretching films played via USB

Steppy

I thought I would take a couple of films over to my parents at the weekend for them to watch, but was disappointed that the Humax stretched the 2.35:1 films to fill the 16:9 screen. The only way I could stop it doing that was to adjust the Humax display ratio to 4:3 which then let me change to 16:9 letterbox.

It took me a while to work this out, but it would be pointless trying to get my parents to go into the settings and adjust every time to watch a film and then adjust back afterwards. I tried adjusting the actual TV settings, but that didn't make any difference, it seems the Humax has total control of the aspect ratio. TV is connected via HMDI

Surely there must be a simpler option. At the moment I am looking to crop any films I give them from 2.35:1 to 16:9, but that's going to be a faff. I had the same issue if I imported them onto the Humax hard drive too.

Any ideas?
Thank you.

No, this is what it always does. Either re-edit to include the black bars top and bottom in the video scan, or (as you have discovered) follow the advice in Things Every... section 16.

However, if you could persuade your users to use the WebIF, you could define a macro to do the config changes - or even dedicate an unused remote button to it (either using a programmable remote or by asking af to include the option in an ir setting).

No, this is what it always does. Either re-edit to include the black bars top and bottom in the video scan, or (as ypu have discovered) follow the advice HERE (click).

Thanks for the speedy resonse.
Could you repost the advise link as its not working please?

No, this is what it always does. Either re-edit to include the black bars top and bottom in the video scan, or (as ypu have discovered) follow the advice in Things Every... section 16.

However, if you could persuade your users to use the WebIF, you could define a macro to do the config changes - or even dedicate an unused remote button to it (either using a programmable remote or by asking af to include the option in an ir setting).

Thanks again for the link which I will have a read through. It would be trouble enough getting my parents who are in the 70's to change an aspect ratio let alone WebIF :)

Could you repost the advise link as its not working please?
That's 'cos you didn't wait until I edited it up - my normal modus operandi.

PS: we have at least one custom firmware user on here in their seventies.

PS: we have at least one custom firmware user on here in their seventies.

There's also the inclination factor to take into account.
I know people, some years younger, who have a complete block about doing such things (and can mangle any instructions), while some noticeably older have an ability and appreciation which astounds me.

Back